There are newer employer reviews for Dow Jones

Flexible, but can be frustrating

Former Employee - Content Quality Analyst in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Content Quality Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible working hours. I was able to work from home 3 days a week and it was never an issue to take time off. The benefits were also very, very good- especially the health insurance.

Cons

Lack of resources allocated to certain products which created a lot of frustration for the people working on them. You end up with the feeling that what you do is not important. There also was very little opportunity for advancement which did not do much for overall employee morale.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great in the beginning, but a change in CEO/Corporate Leadership brought it all down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there until there was a change in CEO and the entire company culture was turned in its head. My colleagues were friendly, helpful, team-oriented and committed. I loved the work I did and the benefits wete the best I ever had.

Cons

A change in CEO saw many of my colleagues downsized right out of their jobs by a new regime that seemed to be inexperienced and arrogant, a bad combination. They made cuts in staff that seemed random and excessive, laying off many long-term employees who had spent years at Dow Jones. They were from a rival organization and it appearded tatthey were trying to change the entire corporate culture to mirror that of the rival organization.

Advice to Management

I wih you all the best, but changing the corporate culture and eliminating so many people with most of the knowledge about products and services doesn't seem to be a smart move. nor does placing junior-level people in senior level positions (a former admin. is now head of global customer service at the age of 26?!?). When you start to change the brand of The Wall Street Journal, I have some serious reservations about the direction in which you are headed. Many of those who weren't laid off wish they had been.

For many years had been an enjoyable place to work -- but times have changed.

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

On the whole, the company is populated with committed and intelligent co-workers, who are willing to go the extra mile. So many people really work hard and believe in the work they do. The company has had modern policies which are supportive of such things as flexible hours and work-life balance issues.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low under new CEO with employees unsure of the direction and future and discouraged by rapid, seemingly peculiar decisions. Many people are polishing their resumes.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it and don't roll over your employees and customers in the process.