DreamHost

www.dreamhost.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for DreamHost

Great people to work with and learn about Linux hosting

Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DreamHost

Pros

The people are real friendly, and are always willing to help. You can always request time off or sick days as long as you explain briefly why. They provide snacks & drinks, a foosball table to take your frustrations on as well as a pool table. Very friendly environment, with freedom to do what you want with your computer set up (install anything as well as install whatever OS you decide). Desks are NOT cubicles, which of course makes it feel less like a slave environment, and some La-Z Boy chairs. Very relaxed place to work. Ability to work from home some days, and you can chose to work on holidays for half the day at home as well. For pregnancies, they give you 4 weeks paid off, and 4 weeks working from home which is a lot more than any other place I've worked at.

Cons

The starting pay was a little below average in my opinion, but I suppose it makes up in the amount of benefits and perks that you receive (like Health, Dental & Vision).

They were glad to help you out and would help you personally if you fell behind in your daily numbers. Are always flexible to assist you with any problems that you may have, like hours or days worked.

5 Other Employee Reviews for DreamHost (View Most Recent)

I f***ing love working here.

I have been working at DreamHost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am constantly turning down recruiters who contact me because I'm really happy working for DreamHost. I'm sure the experience is different for everybody, but... I have a manager who is technically competent and easy to talk to, and I like all of my coworkers (seriously, I can't think of a single coworker I don't like).

The salary is decent, I get to work with cutting-edge tech, the remote-working policy rules, the company redistributes profits as bonuses and raises for everybody instead of just upper management, we have one of the most LGBT-friendly workplaces I've ever seen, and the company's direction as a whole is incredibly democratic.

Cons

The democratic nature of the company is kind of a double-edged sword; it can take a really long time to get consensus sometimes. The development team could be a lot more diverse. The perks are decent if you're in the main office in LA, but not as ridiculous as some of the startups I've worked for (no free weekly massage or laundry services, free lunch twice a week instead of three free meals a day, etc). From my perspective, there's definitely room to improve, but there's nothing so awful that it can't be fixed, and other people in the company actually care.

I really think that we need more diversity in the development team. That'd be #1 on my list of "Things we can seriously improve in 2015" if I had such a list.

A decent place to work with a fun culture

I have been working at DreamHost

Pros

culture of great people who speak hacker. Provides stellar benefits.

Cons

Built on a loose collection of undocumented scripts that are all broken on some level, locked into some pretty awful technologies and their cloud projects are deathmarches doomed to failure for various reasons yet they keep pouring money into those projects despite what a disaster they are. I predict the company will implode soon.

Practice some "shameless honesty" regarding the maturity of your projects.

There are newer employer reviews for DreamHost