DreamWorks Animation
www.dreamworksanimation.com Glendale, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Superficially nice but lacking substance

Animation Technology (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time

ProsBeautiful Glendale campus with wonderful artwork everywhere. Free breakfast and lunch and many small perks such as movie screenings and release parties. Generous vacation time and holidays.

Incredibly open and frequent communication from CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg.

ConsExtremely political. Bonus is based on company operating income, not individual achievements (reviews are not tied to compensation). Career advancement tends to be slow with an emphasis on seniority instead of performance or ability.

Several PhD computer scientists are in technology leadership positions and have never worked anywhere else. That lack of outside/industry perspective and experience leads to naive or outdated technology decisions.

Occasional work from home is not permitted. That is understandable for artists but unusual in the technology industry.

Very top-heavy organizational structure. Very difficult to get anyone interested in fundamental improvements or to act on suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet as much fresh, outside blood as you can into the technology department. Base compensation and bonus on individual performance and achievements. Hold technology all-hands meetings to communicate within that department (Technology tends to be neglected in the company updates and direct CTO communication is non-existent). Limit the HP distractions -- HP is a dying company that will probably be out of business in a decade. For every 1 manager hired or created, hire 10 engineers.

lovemy job here this is my dream

Animator (Current Employee)
California City, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: excellennce in every thing...nothing much Cons: less work but stioll love it Advice to Senior Management: you rare the best Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Facilities are people too

They Don't Use Titles (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, free food and perks. Cons: Facilities Dept treated third rate. Mismanagement in dept. Advice to Senior Management: JK the CEO would pass out if he knew how the people that keep that place… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on DreamWorks Animation.

Worked for DreamWorks Animation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DreamWorks Animation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. All reviews posted anonymously by DreamWorks Animation employees.