Dress Barn

www.dressbarn.com

Horrible!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Stillwater, OK
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stillwater, OK

Pros

40% discount- I loved this!
Some good co-workers.

Cons

This place is an absolute circus.
When I first started, I was informed that they're all about "lifting up" employees and watching them grow. But as time went on, it seems as if they only look down on you, no matter what.
Within my first few weeks of working there, I was walking in to start working and another associate locked me outside. Even better, an assistant manager watched EVERYTHING and did NOTHING. They wanted to see if I could "survive."
Management sucks. They don't take their job seriously, no matter how long they've worked there. For example: an assistant manager and another co-worker had their boyfriends come in, sat on the counter cross-legged, and ate snow cones. I don't know much about being a manager, but I know that this is not acceptable.
I got hired at the beginning of the summer, sales were pretty good. I got more people to sign up for the DBCC in my first few months of working than some of the other girls had in 1-2 years of working there. I didn't even get a pat on the back for this.
 I'm a college student, so I started afternoon classes in the fall. I was only able to work nights, literally every night of working 5 hours, maybe only 4 people came in the store. Obviously, my sales slipped A LOT. Instead of my manager looking at the records and seeing how low the over-all sales were for the night and realizing that my lack of sales were out of my control, I got in trouble for it. I told her time after time that we really didn't have any customers during my hours of working, she suggested that I pass out coupons outside of the store. I'm sorry, but after the way that I had been treated up to that point, I was going to do NOTHING for those managers.
I started working there when I was 19, the clothes are obviously targeted for women older than myself. But I didn't let that stop myself from working hard for the customers. I even had a handful of my customers tell my manager how helpful I was to them and how much they appreciated me. I figured that I would receive verbal praise for this. But no, Of course not.
I eventually had enough of the management and quit. A few months after I quit, I went back, looking for a scarf. I walked through the door and up around the counter. An assistant manager was gossiping with another associate. They never broke out of their conversation to greet me, as a customer.
I had enough at this point and I wrote a very long, nasty e-mail to the company about how poorly managed this specific store is, I even put in the stories and the events that I experienced and told them that I would NEVER be back to this store. Their reply? "We're sorry about your experience and we hope that you'll shop with us again!"

Give praise to your associates!! They're the reason that this company is up and running. If you give them no positive feedback and all negative feedback, you'll drive them out the door. If someone's sales are down, look at the over-all total in sales throughout the time that they were working.

Other reviews for Dress Barn

Fun place to work most of the time

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

40 % discount on great clothes

Cons

low pay impossible to get a raise. too many hoops to jump through with no reward other than silly grade school stuff.

Concentrate a little more on your employees and a little less on contests and goals. People will work hard when paid well. That is the reason we work.

UNDER PREASSURE

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great discount to any employees 40% off on regular priced items and 20% off on sale items. Even things that go to 50%off.

Cons

There is way too much preassure at DB. It's really not worth it. Goals are more attainable if there isn't individual goals. There is no incentives to goals only pressure. You have to make at least $128 dollars per hour worked (when you start) it goes up after a couple of months to $134 when you do so you make it to "PROS" (after 3 months) which just raises your goal to $291 per hour worked. If you do not meet your "goals" you are "let go". On top of the money you have to open credit cards and keep your "spread" (percentage of opened credit cards per transaction) under 12. And as if this were not enough you have to host "VIP" parties (think Mary kay party) through out the quarter. This also counts againts you if you do not host parties.

Customer's always feel pressured and complaining about it. Every one thinks we're on comission since it is the "pushy" sale tactics they make us do. We are not comissioned and yet we are expected to sale as if we were.
    I feel that for the minimum wage most employees are being paid it is EXTREMELY unfair. Here we are working our butts off to sale over priced items for DB.
    It explains why the turn-over in this company is so bad.

Managers need to chill. We understand that they are too getting pressure from UPPER management but when we are put under stress and pressure from that you won't get results from us. It just makes us even more stressed which ends up in employees quitting after a month or two.

There are newer employer reviews for Dress Barn.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!