Dress Barn

Horrible!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stillwater, OK
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Dress Barn

Pros

40% discount- I loved this!
Some good co-workers.

Cons

This place is an absolute circus.
When I first started, I was informed that they're all about "lifting up" employees and watching them grow. But as time went on, it seems as if they only look down on you, no matter what.
Within my first few weeks of working there, I was walking in to start working and another associate locked me outside. Even better, an assistant manager watched EVERYTHING and did NOTHING. They wanted to see if I could "survive."
Management sucks. They don't take their job seriously, no matter how long they've worked there. For example: an assistant manager and another co-worker had their boyfriends come in, sat on the counter cross-legged, and ate snow cones. I don't know much about being a manager, but I know that this is not acceptable.
I got hired at the beginning of the summer, sales were pretty good. I got more people to sign up for the DBCC in my first few months of working than some of the other girls had in 1-2 years of working there. I didn't even get a pat on the back for this.
 I'm a college student, so I started afternoon classes in the fall. I was only able to work nights, literally every night of working 5 hours, maybe only 4 people came in the store. Obviously, my sales slipped A LOT. Instead of my manager looking at the records and seeing how low the over-all sales were for the night and realizing that my lack of sales were out of my control, I got in trouble for it. I told her time after time that we really didn't have any customers during my hours of working, she suggested that I pass out coupons outside of the store. I'm sorry, but after the way that I had been treated up to that point, I was going to do NOTHING for those managers.
I started working there when I was 19, the clothes are obviously targeted for women older than myself. But I didn't let that stop myself from working hard for the customers. I even had a handful of my customers tell my manager how helpful I was to them and how much they appreciated me. I figured that I would receive verbal praise for this. But no, Of course not.
I eventually had enough of the management and quit. A few months after I quit, I went back, looking for a scarf. I walked through the door and up around the counter. An assistant manager was gossiping with another associate. They never broke out of their conversation to greet me, as a customer.
I had enough at this point and I wrote a very long, nasty e-mail to the company about how poorly managed this specific store is, I even put in the stories and the events that I experienced and told them that I would NEVER be back to this store. Their reply? "We're sorry about your experience and we hope that you'll shop with us again!"

Give praise to your associates!! They're the reason that this company is up and running. If you give them no positive feedback and all negative feedback, you'll drive them out the door. If someone's sales are down, look at the over-all total in sales throughout the time that they were working.

190 Other Employee Reviews for Dress Barn (View Most Recent)

Fun place to work most of the time

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Dress Barn

Pros

40 % discount on great clothes

Cons

low pay impossible to get a raise. too many hoops to jump through with no reward other than silly grade school stuff.

Concentrate a little more on your employees and a little less on contests and goals. People will work hard when paid well. That is the reason we work.

Lousy - would rather be a prostitute than ever work for Dress Barn-worse place to work in the world

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anthem, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anthem, AZ

I have been working at Dress Barn

Pros

None. There are NONE. Nothing positive whatsoever about Dress Barn. Management is rotten. Terrible. Horrible.

Cons

Low class managers/dirty tricks played with sales/coworkers steal your sales/constant pressure for sales per hr/items sold. Ruthless and biiter rivalry. Management encourages friction. Nothing you ever do will be good enough-great sales-get beat up for not opening credit cards-you must open credit cards or suffer horrific abuse. Just a really bad work environment. 100% turn over. Dress Barn likes it that way. The D.M. dressed like she was going to slop the pigs. No class. Lousy pay. They run these stupid contests where you are beat up hour after hour to like sell sweaters in 120 degrees. The only thing you get from the contest is like a candy bar or something stupid. Terrible-horrible-awful place to work-just terrible-cannot say enough bad things about the experience. No class. Just nasty.Oh and you have to keep your own records by using stick figures on a piece of paper - no efficient technology to use...you actualy have to use STICK FIGURES - my God.

Stop treating people like machines. The contests are stupid. You use people and throw them away. You have no respect for anyone. Plus your business model is so out of date. Archaic. You people are just louses in every sense of the word.

There are newer employer reviews for Dress Barn