It's an ok place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for less than a year

Pros

If your full time they have great benefits. You get a great discount.

Cons

It's retail... Long hours on your feet, you have to work nights and pretty much every weekend, this makes it hard to have a work life balance. It's hard to get promoted, it seems more about who you know rather than what you know. Drama!! At least in my store.

A lot of inconsistency with lower management. I would suggest a more rigorous training program for those being promoted into higher positions. I also feel a lot of good promotable talent is lost due to cutting of hours during slow times.

Other Reviews for Dress Barn

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stores have a friendly environment, you can advance within company, job is somewhat challenging (during busy hours), great management, and is fun learning about how the retail industry works.

Cons

There were times I wish management could have been a bit stricter with employees being late so that it was consistent within management. Otherwise, management was overall AWESOME.

Enjoyed management

A Year Is Long Enough....

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

Pros

In my experience, I've gotten a fairly generous associate discount (even if it makes things the price you'd pay at a competitor in my opinion), I love the Sales Girls I work with and oversee, and I've gotten more weekends off then I feel I would working at other retail stores.

Cons

I have three huge complaints that will end my employment with this company soon (In the next month to be exact) - 1. This is not an inspiring place to work. As a member of management, I feel like management bickers a lot within itself. If you work at a store where everyone gets along, then good for you but in my experience, no one has hardly ever gotten along at our dress barn. It becomes childish to listen to who doesn't like who and who is after who. There's been frequent clashes between management and sales girls because of this.

2. They like to nit pick. I have had comments since I was hired about my hair, clothing, and personal style even though I dress within the dress code. Their policies are vastly outdated regarding any of this. When I was hired, I had to read a book that actually told me how to wear my makeup and if I don't wear makeup, It gets brought up. Our store manager once instructed girls to look like they were "going on a date" When they came into work. . While they say less to me now than ever before about style, I find it hard to work for a company who's sense of style is just what they sell on the floor and even some of that, we aren't able to wear. I'd also like to say that it took me telling them very firmly to stop and that they were pushing boundaries to get them to do so.

3. New technology is slow to come by and ways of thinking don't keep up with current trends. There is only the "Dress-Barn" Way, when I entered as a member of management, I had numerous retail experience and thought i'd be a good fit for the position. It took months to learn that you're going to be dealing with outdated fixtures, plan o grams and walls that change every time you turn around, and clothing, that just follows random color stories and doesn't always make sense.

Dress Barn could be a fantastic place to work but the reality is that it simply isn't. Members of the store barely get raises while store managers are frequently given luxury trips. There isn't enough requirement for a store manager to be held more responsible or work just as much as their assistants. I know the idea is that people won't abuse their power but the reality is, it happens.

New technology is desperately needed. One scanner per store that just get rolled out this year isn't good enough. The store should not change in a constant effort to make it look new, the merchandise should change around the store. Posters should match seasons versus a current trend that you're promoting. Pieces that come in need to make sense with other pieces. Registers should not be located at the back of the store. Any Dressbarn within a mall should have sensors and not just when it gets to be a problem. Trends also need to be invented ! and original to set you apart. Younger shoppers, in my experience, only occasionally find a style that they like. Sometimes the trends we carry are old and have already been done to death by the time we get there. Prices are too high - if you can afford to give associates a hefty mark down, it tells me that you're marking things up too much to begin with. some of the quality of the merchandise doesn't match the price point.

There should be a dress code, and i'm a firm believer that name tags should be brought back. Make everyone on the team look the same. Allow them to pop it with their own accessories but go to a uniformed look and I believe that the team feeling of behavior will follow.

The biggest advice I'd like to give to management is bring in a retail consultant, not just someone that's familiar with Dress Barn but someone that works in the industry and is familiar with lots of different brands. Each individual Dress Barn is at the mercy of its managers and particularly, it's store managers. Some people I know have great experiences and love it. Their store is involved with community projects and they try very hard to have the right experience.

If you get in a great store, treasure it. If you get in a horrible store, my advice to anyone reading this review is don't stick around for a year + thinking it's going to get better. At the end of the day, do what it is right by you. Even with small raises, it doesn't cancel out the dignity and appreciation that gets robbed by you to work in such a low morale company.

There are newer employer reviews for Dress Barn.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!