DriveTime Automotive Group
www.drivetime.com Phoenix, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great place to work at

Senior Database Developer (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love working at Drvietime. It is mostly a young to middle age crowd in the IT department. This lends itself to lots of energy and excitement about what they are working on. I am in the twilight of my career of 30+ years of working in one way or another with databases. I started just over 3 years ago at DriveTime when I got tired of traveling for my old job and I have not regretted the switch yet.

I love being a mentor and trainer of the young database developers and now and then they teach me new tricks as well!! I also get to use the skills I have honed over my many years in the field doing what I love to do, making things faster and better for accessing data.

I have never been bored at DriveTime. There have been times I have been stressed from a bit heavy a schedule, but I found my leader understanding when I needed to flex a bit to keep my sanity. And the heavy schedule is not constant. DriveTime does a good job of encouraging you to have an outside life (compared to what I experienced in other companies).

I love using KanBan to manage work. So much better than writing weekly status reports for a boss that never read them. Instead we do a quick 5-15 minute stand up each morning to understand where projects are at and what is next to work on.

The main office uses a very open environment. That took a couple of weeks to adjust too, but now I would not trade it for anything. I love how if I am feeling tired in the morning, just walking into the energy of the office rejuvenates me.

I have never felt freer to share my thoughts and feelings with management than at any other place I have worked at in my long career. Another reviewer warned against doing that implying you would get fired. I have not seen that to be the case in almost 4 years. However, management does not suffer incompetent workers for long. If someone is not or cannot do the work, then yes they are let go. Far better than what I have seen in other places I have worked at where they kept the people and everyone else had to pick up the slack. One place I worked at took over a year to document how a guy would play video games all day long instead of working. DriveTime would have given the guy a couple of warnings and then walked him to the door, all within at most a couple of months. Personally, I prefer the DriveTime way.

I have also not seen any type of cronyism. I don’t do golf or watch sports or go to bars like a lot of others at work, but I have not felt my lack of shared outside activities with management has affected my standing at work. They respect me for my abilities in the work place not my chumming up with them after work.

One of my favorite management things at DriveTime is how thin the layers are. Between me and the CEO is just two layers. And he knows my name, what I look like and stops by to chat. I even feel like I could go talk to him if I needed to about anything. At one time I worked at GM and trust me the CEO there did not even know I existed. I have found I like working for a smaller company.

We get state of the art technology to work with. Two very large screen monitors at our desks to use with our speedy laptops. There are huge monitors in conference rooms you can use to share your desktop during meetings. We have lots of white boards, some even on wheels. We are up on SQL Server 2012 though we still have some old 2000 and 2008 to migrate off of. We each get a mobile device for free. And the office has the newest versions of MS software.

Last, I am a woman and even though it seems that the IT field in this part of the US is heavily male dominated, we have four ladies in the database developers group (out of 13 total) and are treated with respect and I have not felt any favoritism affecting the members of our group.

I would recommend working for DriveTime. Trust me the grass is not greener in other companies.

ConsSometimes I feel like management is like the dog in UP when it sees a squirrel while talking to the man and boy. They need to learn to not always chase after the next shiny thing just because it is new.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow us to devote time to doing cleanup after putting in new features. Technical debt needs to be paid or it will cause more problems long term.

Great company to work for out of college

Internet Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
Mesa, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for less than a year

Pros: In the Operations Office where I work there are many recent grads, so the environment is in that manner. salary+bonus and benifits… Cons: Some parts of the Operations Office are call center environments.… Advice to Senior Management: more options at the Operations Office to move into roles… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Something is usually better than nothing, but if I had known, I would not have wasted my time

Pros: Any work experience is valuable. If this is the only job you can land for now, it's at least something, but don't plan on it… Cons: They say they value work life balance for their employees, but it isn't true. Your schedule can and will be changed at whim. Everything… Advice to Senior Management: Be honest about what the job really is during the interview process. If someone had been honest with me, I would never have wasted my… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on DriveTime Automotive Group.

Worked for DriveTime Automotive Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DriveTime Automotive Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DriveTime Automotive Group CEO Ray Fidel. All reviews posted anonymously by DriveTime Automotive Group employees.