Dropbox

www.dropbox.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dropbox

A great place to work amongst some of the most talented programmers of our generation

Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Getting the opportunity to work closely with really bright and motivated people is in itself a strong motivation to perform well at Dropbox. You also really get a sense that you are doing something good for the world, that the work you do has a measurable impact on people using Dropbox, Mailbox, or Carousel. There are also a lot of stellar perks, from the game room, stocked with DDR, foosball, ping pong, and more, to the amazing Tuck Shop, our cooks and baristas, providing us with a five-star breakfast, lunch and dinner experience. Honestly, the Tuck Shop is better than many restaurants!

Cons

At Dropbox, we have some issues with code quality and in communication between teams on shared projects. As there is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines, at times code modularity and quality has been sacrificed for rapid development. This has come to bite us in the butt at times, as someone has made a change in a shared project which has derailed the work of another team. This is getting better, but still it is as of yet an unsolved problem, besides having some people whose jobs are actually improving and cleaning up the codebase.

It would be nice if we had a little more space... Sometimes I feel like there aren't really great places to work besides your desks. I would love having a quite workspace with comfortable chairs where people could come and go but that would always be quiet, just to have the chance to get away from the noise of the office.

120 Other Employee Reviews for Dropbox (View Most Recent)

Hands down the most exciting place to be right now!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Dropbox has the highest concentration of extremely intelligent, fun, and genuinely humble people I have seen. Everyone here -- from recruiters to engineers to chefs -- works really, really hard and is amazing at what they do. Folks are recognized by their work and not necessarily by how loudly they toot their own horn. There isn't a need for any strategic play / "networking" because most Dropboxers are actually interested in you and will want to invest in your growth whenever possible. The company is also extremely transparent, mirroring the strong sense of trust and respect within the Dropbox circle.

Cons

If you don't have top-notch work ethic, you will feel like a slacker here. There is no room for cruisers, which is what Dropboxers love! The demographic profile of the company is also diversifying (e.g., gender, age, non-technical background), which is great, but there is still some catch-up we need to do to meet those diverse needs (e.g., functional nursing rooms for young mothers). Fortunately, diversity is a top priority for the company and Dropboxers themselves are encouraged to find solutions for the gaps they notice (instead of just grumbling about them).

As we continue to grow at rapid speed, let's all do our part in keeping the bar as high as it was on Day 1, while staying humble.

Can't ask for a better work environment - people are unbelievably talented and always willing to help out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The perks are great, of course (better than any company in the Bay Area I've been to, and I've been to most of them), but the most important thing at Dropbox is the people and the culture. The environment is really positive and people are not only smart, but actually seem to care about the company and each other. There's a ton of opportunity to move around to different teams if you're interested in trying something new or want a different career path.

Cons

The company is definitely growing fast, and people move around a lot, so roles get shuffled around. This isn't necessarily the best place to work if you're not comfortable with change, as that happens a lot around here. Things are still getting figured out, which can sometimes be exciting (and sometimes confusing).

Not much that I would criticize here. Maybe find some way to mix teams a bit more? It's been a little difficult to meet people in other functions since the Wharfside building is so separated.

There are newer employer reviews for Dropbox