DuPont
www.dupont.com Wilmington, DE 5000+ Employees

If you're thinking of working here, think again.

Research Associate (Former Employee)
Wilmington, DE

ProsRelatively equitable salary and health benefits. I suppose as a research chemist in a large company, I was able over the years to command decent budgets for new equipment and supplies.
Generally, I was able to attend at least one scientific meeting per year, and interact with colleagues outside of the company on occasion. The facilities were on a par with other places I have worked (lab, equipment, library, computers, cafeteria etc).

ConsWhere do I begin? Support staff is the biggest disappointment. Dupont management is terrified of unionized technical help and will do anything to keep the techs happy. Consequently the PI's are at the mercy of the English major technician mafia, and God forbid if anyone tries to right the apple cart or complain in any way. Next I would fault senior management for allowing PI's to work on sophomoronic and impossible goals. But then, most managers are so as they were the least competent at science in the first place. They bring true meaning to the company's motto "Miracles of Science". Meanwhile Dupont's patent positions suffer in so many fields, further lowering morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt any job, the minimum one expects is to be treated with dignity and respect. I expect my manager to be honest, open, and fair. This I did not get at Dupont. My job became a nightmare and an experience I would not wish upon anyone. My advice to Ms Kullman is to install an outside scientific review panel and lose the senior level managers who have been lying their way to upper level positions as fast as she can. Set some realistic goals and projects which can bring the company out of their current product doldrums (TiO2 still?). Require professional expert training in management, and allow honest reverse (bottom up) appraisals of managers.

Great work/life balance

Chemical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Deepwater, NJ

I have been working at DuPont

Pros: Great work/life balance, good sharing of information between employees, numerous resources available within the company, diverse portfolio, in… Cons: Would like more overseas opportunities Advice to Senior Management: Work to promote more global experiences for employees. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Sending Jobs out of this country is a top priority

Design (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, DE

I have been working at DuPont

Pros: There are some good benefits but they are going up in cost and the hours are good, outside of that the… Cons: Outsourcing, Outsourcing and more Outsourcing, at one of the worst economic meltdowns in history, the CEO of Dupont is currently trying to ship all the… Advice to Senior Management: There are not enough words to make any of these greedy managers listen, the direction is not forward, they need to think about the destruction… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on DuPont.

Worked for DuPont? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DuPont reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DuPont CEO Ellen J. Kullman. All reviews posted anonymously by DuPont employees.