There are newer employer reviews for DuPont

I Feel... Bought

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at DuPont

Pros

The salary is okay, and I also think they offer a good work/life balance, with a pretty decent 401K match.

Cons

Management doesn't care about you. As long as the action items gets done, its great for them, but there's no recognition for you. However, if you do something wrong, EVERYONE will know. The people here really love to play the blame game, and if you want something done, you might as well do it yourself because nobody wants to be anyone else's accomplice.

Make an effort to really care about your employees. People really need to hear they are doing good things, and don't publicly humiliate them for making a mistake. I know that management wants to cut costs right now and profit is the main game, but focusing on solely this is a HUGE mistake. You are about to lose one of your potentially excellent employees.

361 Other Employee Reviews for DuPont (View Most Recent)

If you're thinking of working here, think again.

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Wilmington, DE

I worked at DuPont

Pros

Relatively equitable salary and health benefits. I suppose as a research chemist in a large company, I was able over the years to command decent budgets for new equipment and supplies.
    Generally, I was able to attend at least one scientific meeting per year, and interact with colleagues outside of the company on occasion. The facilities were on a par with other places I have worked (lab, equipment, library, computers, cafeteria etc).

Cons

Where do I begin? Support staff is the biggest disappointment. Dupont management is terrified of unionized technical help and will do anything to keep the techs happy. Consequently the PI's are at the mercy of the English major technician mafia, and God forbid if anyone tries to right the apple cart or complain in any way. Next I would fault senior management for allowing PI's to work on sophomoronic and impossible goals. But then, most managers are so as they were the least competent at science in the first place. They bring true meaning to the company's motto "Miracles of Science". Meanwhile Dupont's patent positions suffer in so many fields, further lowering morale.

At any job, the minimum one expects is to be treated with dignity and respect. I expect my manager to be honest, open, and fair. This I did not get at Dupont. My job became a nightmare and an experience I would not wish upon anyone. My advice to Ms Kullman is to install an outside scientific review panel and lose the senior level managers who have been lying their way to upper level positions as fast as she can. Set some realistic goals and projects which can bring the company out of their current product doldrums (TiO2 still?). Require professional expert training in management, and allow honest reverse (bottom up) appraisals of managers.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer  in  Deepwater, NJ
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Deepwater, NJ

I have been working at DuPont

Pros

Great work/life balance, good sharing of information between employees, numerous resources available within the company, diverse portfolio, in charge of your own career (internal job postings for which anyone within the company can apply), diverse job opportunities

Cons

Would like more overseas opportunities

Work to promote more global experiences for employees.

There are newer employer reviews for DuPont

Worked for DuPont? Contribute to the Community!