There are newer employer reviews for Duke Energy

Good company, not the most organized intern/co-op program

Former Intern - IT Intern/Co-Op in Charlotte, NC
Former Intern - IT Intern/Co-Op in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with hard working, genuinely nice people. The compensation is good as well as great benefits. Charlotte is an awesome city, as well. All levels of management seemed very approachable and were more than willing to meet with me if I needed to bring something to their attention. The internship coordinators did a great job to get all the interns/co-ops connected to make the stay in the new (to some) city as enjoyable as possible.

Cons

I was hired on in an intern/co-op role and it was not very well planned out leaving me feeling like I was in the way more than gaining experience. I had to ask for work and the work was given seemed more like busy work. I can appreciate that it is difficult to give someone in this position too much responsibilty because it is understood they will be leaving in a short time period and that they do not have the background with the work like full time employees do but there needs to be more of a middle ground than what I observed.

Advice to Management

Better planning is needed. As stated above, I felt like I was dropped into a role that management had not expected to be filled. Aside from this resulting in me being (what I felt like) under-utilized it also made me feel in the way. I did not like having to ask for assignments and especially did not like being given ones that were just parts of a whole; never really seeing the whole project or seeing it through to the finish.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good Company but room to improve.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Focus on family is very strong. Management is good and the comraderie is also good. There are some great leaders who are all very personable.

Cons

Poor leadership from top tiers. Salary could improve and additional employees are needed. The company runs too lean which quickly leads to employee burnout. Focus is too much on being big, not being the best.

Advice to Management

Hire more recent college graduates and improve leadership, not management. Lead the company to be the best not the biggest. Focus on development and promotion from within not on buying companies for their executive leadership.

I have received as many challenges as I can handle and it has been very rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Challenges, Scope of Impact, Dynamic Projects, Energy Sector is Changing, People and Personalities are outstanding, no Dramatics in the workplace, Superb Benefits

Cons

Promotions are not easy to come by because of the tenure many people enjoy. Pay does not seem to rise as quickly as it should.

Advice to Management

Young talent can travel much easier than the tenured workforce.