Duke Energy

www.duke-energy.com
  www.duke-energy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Duke Energy

Appreciative Company, but works at the governments pace

Current Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are fantastic
Very appreciative and offer many opportunities of extra pay
Flexible

Cons

Slow pace, not much work (does pick up eventually)

Try to utilize everyone has much as possible (and equally), it will save time and money.

170 Other Employee Reviews for Duke Energy (View Most Recent)

I'm not sure who these reviews come from but I don't have the same experience .

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any. They say other departments are happy but I don't see any of that.

Cons

We are pushed to get callers off the line in 300 seconds and are given bad scores for using a sick day, using the restroom, having technical computer issues, anything you can think of. Have a car accident? one of your kids are sick? well, that's too bad. Every word, keystroke,mouse click and second is recorded and scored. If you have customer on the line and it's your break or 30 minute lunch and the call crosses over that time, the employee is deducted for that. You aren't in adherence and it hurts your performance scores. It's a miserable place to work. People stream out of here constantly.
     Benefits are poor. They pay for generics only so if your medication does not have that option, you won't be getting it. Perhaps other employees get good pay and benefits but if you work in customer service you will take abuse from both the customer and the company.
    You will have to stay up to 16 hours and at a moments notice. There is ZERO work life balance.
    Management just stares and smiles if you complain or even suggest changes.
    Everything is harassment, even baby showers. This place is beyond ridiculous.

Concentrate on providing real customer service, instead of just meeting stats. A lot of money is spent on hiring but you toss it out the window by treating employees like serfs. It is possible to provide customer service, make money and have employees who like or even love their job. Having to work under constant stress and fear does not make Duke Energy better. I suppose that the customers are correct. You have monopoly, so you don't need to care.

Good company, not the most organized intern/co-op program

Former Employee - IT Intern/Co-Op in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - IT Intern/Co-Op in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company is filled with hard working, genuinely nice people. The compensation is good as well as great benefits. Charlotte is an awesome city, as well. All levels of management seemed very approachable and were more than willing to meet with me if I needed to bring something to their attention. The internship coordinators did a great job to get all the interns/co-ops connected to make the stay in the new (to some) city as enjoyable as possible.

Cons

I was hired on in an intern/co-op role and it was not very well planned out leaving me feeling like I was in the way more than gaining experience. I had to ask for work and the work was given seemed more like busy work. I can appreciate that it is difficult to give someone in this position too much responsibilty because it is understood they will be leaving in a short time period and that they do not have the background with the work like full time employees do but there needs to be more of a middle ground than what I observed.

Better planning is needed. As stated above, I felt like I was dropped into a role that management had not expected to be filled. Aside from this resulting in me being (what I felt like) under-utilized it also made me feel in the way. I did not like having to ask for assignments and especially did not like being given ones that were just parts of a whole; never really seeing the whole project or seeing it through to the finish.

There are newer employer reviews for Duke Energy