Duke Regional Hospital

Durham Regional Hospital - the Stepchild of Duke Health System

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Regional Hospital

Pros

Part of Duke University Health System, so super benefits. Financially challenged with FTE's not approved unless a patient care/safety issue, so plenty of opportunities for people in support roles to take on additional responsibility and puff up the resume. On-site cafeteria, coffee shop and gift shop.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics! It takes an Act of Congress to get anything done. So many approval levels to do something as simple as replace a broken chair. Nurses receive disproportionate praise here. Granted the ones I knew and worked with were phenomenal people, but there are many other jobs critical to making the hospital successful. Turnover was a problem and rumored to have the highest turnover rate in the Duke system. Some departments turned over completely every few years and others couldn't keep someone in the department manager position. The hospital is located in a depressed area reportedly nestled against gang territory. I don't know how true that is, but I was accosted several times in the parking lot in broad daylight by mentally altered people looking for the emergency room or begging for change.

Invest in the facility. Patient care areas are nice. Employee workspaces are not.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Duke Regional Hospital (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

I have been working at Duke Regional Hospital

Pros

The hospital has great staff, and takes care of all your needs. The are quick at getting patients in and out and serving you as best as possible

Cons

Its hard to come up with any cons about this hospital. There is not much i can say I was unhappy with

Duke took over and the good people jumped ship

Former Employee - Nurse Aide II
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide II

I worked at Duke Regional Hospital

Pros

- flexible hours,
    - good experience,
    - nice co-workers

Cons

grunt work
    low pay
    horrible raises for hard work

you get what you pay for

There are newer employer reviews for Duke Regional Hospital