Duke University Health System

There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System

Amazing Coworkers

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Durham, NC
Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most friendly, professional people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Lots of support from management and support services such as pharmacy, EVS, dietary, IV team, etc. Great nurse:patient ratios although if someone calls out sick it can be hard to get help. Financially well run, upper management does a good job making sure the organization is fiscally healthy and sustainable well into the future. For example, we were still getting (modest) pay raises while some of our competitors were having wage freezes.

Cons

They "outsource" a lot of nursing duties to other areas. For example, IV team, respiratory therapists, CNA's, etc. It's nice to have the help, but difficult to maintain your skills when other people are doing your job for you. I think having all the help also makes the case for keeping base salaries low. However, the positive environment keeps people there despite a lower salary . Also, the computer systems are terrible/segmented , but this should improve with Maestro.

Advice to Management

Value all entities equally. I know sometimes Duke Raleigh and Durham Regional can feel like red-headed stepchildren compared to "Big Duke", especially in terms of available resources.

reviews filtered by

Terrible parking, long walks and IT staff treated very much like janitors

Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Durham, NC
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours.
    On site cafeteria
    Sometimes you would find a friendly doctor

Cons

TERRIBLE parking. Even if you wanted to park on site you can't and there is a 3 YEAR waiting list to get into the parking decks. Had to park in H lot and take a bus into the hospital. If you weren't in H lot by 9am it was completely full and you had to park even further.

Doctors were condescending and rude. Everything had an emergency vibe (I guess that is the case in a hospital) and I wasn't even given a desk. I was placed in a corner of the basement on top of what was a crate and had to do all my troubleshooting and issue solving there. I was forced to constantly walk from one end of the hospital to the other (Or I could bring a large cart with me that was impossible to fit into the tram) or walk all the way back to the IT room in the department of surgery to get a part.

Advice to Management

Treat your IT people with some respect. Its not all about the doctors over there. While they do a good job they certainly need help with things like IT work and computer maintenance and it doesn't do you justice to treat them like janitorial staff.

Poor management and oversight of supervisors

Current Employee - Clinic Service Coordinator in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinic Service Coordinator in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable environment but only because it is a bad economic situation currently. If jobs were not scarce, Duke would have even higher turnover than they have now.

Cons

Low pay increases, paying much less that average mean income, pay for all benefits, inflexibility for non favorites of management, abusive supervisors uncontrolled by managers.

Advice to Management

Deal with your problem children, and embrace inovative and creative people that are good customer service oriented, before you become a casualty of your own egos. You may be too big to fail, but you are also too big to manage yourselves properly.

There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System