Duke University Health System

www.dukehealth.org
  www.dukehealth.org
There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System

What a great place to work and help others

Current Employee - Grounds Maintenance in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Grounds Maintenance in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the opportunity to help others when hey are in need.

Cons

Do not like following processes and procedures at time

give folks more money and time off.

142 Other Employee Reviews for Duke University Health System (View Most Recent)

Undervalues employees. Good opportunities to develop your resume/CV, though.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to work on different, very cool projects. Lots of interesting collaborators and collaboration opportunities. Some DUMC employees complain about poor work-ilfe balance and incredible pressure to work around the clock, but I didn't experience this. I found that work-life balance was completely manageable.

Cons

At the time I worked there, Duke seemed to feel that employees should be honored and grateful to work at the Duke University Medical Center (DUMC), and that efforts to create a hospitable working environment were unnecessary. There was a lot of talk about going the extra mile to offer excellent patient care, but Duke itself was extremely self-serving in its policies with employees. For example, I worked in a building that had free but unlit parking, which always felt a little sketchy after dark. Duke told us that it would install lighting in the parking lot, but in exchange, it would begin charging us to park in the lot. I suppose this makes good business sense, but it also made it clear that Duke's bottom line was more important than employee safety. It was incumbent upon us to cover our own costs - Duke didn't seem to feel that these kinds of expenses were built into its profit margin. Another con is poor health benefits (my memory is that the Duke health insurance mostly covered visits to other Duke providers, so it was hard to be seen outside the system).

Actions speak louder than words. Rhetoric about Duke being committed to employees falls flat when, for example, the mandatory orientation session prioritizes a 30-minute lecture on hand-washing over covering how to sign up for benefits. (The benefits talk, which presenters acknowledged was probably most important to new employees because the window to sign up for benefits was closing, was last in the orientation session, and the only video-recorded talk. All other orientation talks were delivered by a live person.) These kinds of things speak volumes about where employee comfort fits in Duke's priorities.

bad management

Current Employee - Nurse in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

you work 3 days a week

Cons

the days are 12 hours long

focus on clinic needs not your own control issues

There are newer employer reviews for Duke University Health System