Duke University
www.duke.edu Durham, NC 5000+ Employees

Duke Needs an Overhaul

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

ProsWork-life balance and benefits are very good

ConsTerrible management, inefficient, unproductive; Duke doesn't pay for you to take courses there as you would expect as a staff member; Linda.com is not adequate training for the IT department- need to invest much more in real classes and training; too political; soul-draining; siloed work; duplicate work being done, with competitiveness, secrecy, and hatred between many groups in the same department; I lost 50 IQ points and developed depression from being on staff for several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuke University continues to thrive because of its research, great faculty, its reputation, a great basketball coach/program, and the elitist parents that pay full-price for their children to attend. But, in many parts of Duke, staff are ridiculously poorly managed, inefficient, and unproductive. The ethnicity in its human resources department makes up for lack of diversity in the rest of the staff, but it isn't diversity if HR and other specific departments are primarily one ethnicity and other departments are of others. And morale is terrible. It is a political, deadbeat environment where I could hear my mind and skills atrophying. Management and culture must change. Don't give 5 year tenures to those in C-level positions that don't manage because they aren't even in the building 95% of the time. Don't pay people for two or more jobs and give them empty offices, especially not at C-level positions or in senior management. Everyone expects higher-ed institutions, especially Ivy+ like Duke, to be filled with bright staff and working with bleeding edge best technologies. Make it happen, and stop depending on the rich kids, stocks, sports, and research to pay your inflated bills for inadequate work from staff and management. Stop duplicating work within the same department and foster working together rather than competing with each other. The only fun staff ever had is for a short amount of time where they left work early and drank the rest of the afternoon.

Duke was a great place to work for entry-level positions in science.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University full-time for more than a year

Pros: Salaries were competitive; benefits were great; atmosphere was top-notch, intellectually and socially. The people I worked with at Duke were friendly, intelligent, and team-oriented. Buildings/workspaces… Cons: Parking was a pain, and the labs were small in some cases: very few people in each lab, working under each P.I. P.I.s had some… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Mostly very good

Departmental Business Manager I (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great benefits, wonderful co-workers (in most jobs) Cons: Not all departments operate the same Advice to Senior Management: Pay more attention to what actually goes on Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Duke University.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke University CEO Dick Brodhead. All reviews posted anonymously by Duke University employees.