There are newer employer reviews for Dunelm

Not the best work experience

Pros

Most staff were quite pleasant to work with. On-site senior staff did do a good amount of work and weren't simply sitting down in the background somewhere.

Cons

* low wage compared to similar positions * boring place to work *staff discount is very low compared to other large chain stores in the UK. * consistenly having to leave 15-20mins after the shift was offically over * a 5 days of training at a hotel that lated about 4 hours each day. not much was learnt here and it seems more like a time to hand out printed documents and phamlets about some key products that would be sold. this could have been achieved in 1 day. meanwhile, real on-site training before the launch of the new store wasn't given as much importance. * high staff turn over *bringing in managers from others stores to help for a short period of time. as these people were only onsite for a few days, they were often quite impersonal and this caused a needlessly uncomfortable working environment. * senior managment were not that great at boasting morale

Advice to Management

* My finishing time was 6pm. However, I was often told to do extra tasks that would take 15-20mins more and would inevitably wind up leaving later. I was not asked if I could do over-time - I was commanded to do so and it was presumed I could do this. I believe it is more courteous and fair to ask if an employee is willing to work overtime. It feels much more like an unpleasant confrontation when you declined overtime than when you state you are not going to do X task what you were requested because you need to head home. * Senior management didn’t seem to hand out praise evenly. It appeared popular members of staff who enjoyed a closer relationship with seniors than other employees had their achievements publically praised the most. Meanwhile, I noted workers who consistently provided good service, were friendly with other staff, showed up to work on time and often went above and beyond their roles did not really get the praised as should have been. Overall, praising staff members wasn’t done often though. I believe a staff of the week scheme where both senior and non-senior staff could vote from select nominees or something of the kind would have been a fair and very beneficial system. In a job where: 1) you do not work on commission 2) do not have any creative input 3) there are no performance-based bonuses 4) you are essentially not making that much money but making those in higher managerial positions and executive positions quite a bit richer through your hard work at selling a customer an item and/or providing a friendly service to partially ensure their return... praising customers and providing incentives is even more essential. Not many non-senior employees are very motivated by the sheer fact that products need to sell to do their job to a consistently high level every single day (or the majority of days that they work). When you go into a shop and the assistants are gathered in a group talked and ignoring customers or not being attentive etc, it is not beyond the realms of the reality to believe that they are also somewhat disillusioned with the fact they are in job that doesn’t offer much satisfaction yet due to lack of incentives/recognition or higher wage they are not compensated for this. * The searching of bags and coats/jackets after the end of work to check for stolen property. Whilst I was not completely opposed to this as I didn't have anything to hide, I did consider it unfair that those in senior/managerial positions were not searched along with us. It sent out a message that those not in senior roles could be viewed as potential suspects/thieves but management were seemingly presumed above stealing. Everyone should have been checked or no one at all. * When I worked there was really high staff turnover rate. I believe that could partly be down to expecting workers to deliver a high standard of customer care and output yet work for a salary that's not entirely competitive. After a short time, it can get difficult to stay in a job that is quite physical, requires you to be on your feet all day and treat customers very well when you aren’t being compensated for it that well. I’m also sure the three previous points mentioned contributed to feelings of low-morale amongst those who walked too.

Other Employee Reviews for Dunelm

Its Great!!

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

With incentives, bonuses and long service rewards its a great place to work. i've just about reached 10 years with the company and would say overall its a great place to work

Cons

internal progression is overlooked at times and we seem to employ from out the company when there is often better talent within(there are plenty of great opportunities though). At times it can seem like there are just too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to move long distances as store managers are expected to move stores if required.

2. Fantastic place to work

I have been working at Dunelm full-time

Pros

Working at the Store Support Centre, the facilities are first rate, easy to get to, modern and everything you could want from a place of work. Management is supportive, engaged and refreshingly open both in terms of plans as well as being approachable.

Cons

One minor 'moan' is the fact that there is no real canteen and so it can be quite expensive to eat at work but that said, the food provision is excellent and reasonably priced so its swings and roundabouts. The other concern is the sickness/leave benefits which aren't those which you would expect from a top company.

Advice to Management

To attract the top echelon of employees, the sickness/leave benefits need to be bought in line with other top employers. With regard to SSC, it would be nice to have some fridges for lunch/milk so that those on lower wages can manage their costs a little better.