There are newer employer reviews for Durham School Services

this is a very stressful place to work. Management has favorites and those favorites are trouble makers for the rest.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver
Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at Durham School Services

Pros

The job itself is satisfying, most of the kids are nice to be around, and some of the coworkers are pleasant to work with.

Cons

This CSC is messed up. Management is very unprofesional in reguards to employee treatment. This CSC desperately needs new management.

This CSC's manager thinks she can do no wrong. She has been confronted several times and will never admit to mal treatment of employees. If you are not a favorite you will be very stressed. Very Very unprofessional.

reviews filtered by

I found this work to be one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs I have experienced.

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Durham School Services

Pros

The children. It is all about "your" kids. You get out of the job what you put into the job. Great job for parents as your children can ride with you. You do not have to work weekends, you follow the schools' schedules. If you like to kids and driving, this if for you.

Cons

Route assignments are by seniority. As a new hire you get the leftovers although since the routes are subject to change especially in the beginning of the school year, you could end up with a good route. At the same time, the routes are subject to change so you need to be flexible.

Although I didn't have this problem, some of the drivers complained about favoritism. As is common with many companies there can be a lack of communication from the top (management) to the bottom (everybody else). I think it would be helpful to assign a "buddy" to new employees as it seems one learns by trial and error. I asked a lot of questions which helped me while others wouldn't find out "something" until it was too late.

Company does not care about it's employees, nor does it listen to the people who do the work.

I worked at Durham School Services

Pros

I don't know of any pros of working for Durham unless you work at the corporate offices. There at corporate they have a nice new building, get free meals a lot and free flu shots.

Cons

When you do the actual work in the field for the company they do not appreciate it. The free flu shots at corporate should go to the drivers who are around the students. If you have a management position it is hard to get time off for vacation. You do not get compensated for extra hours worked but are required to work them when needed, which is a lot. The company tried to do a big transformation in which a lot of employees told them it would not work to the extent they wanted it to and they did not listen. They spent millions of dollars and now the whole transformation is gone. Now the people out in the field are getting cut in order for the company to save money and yet they still have those nice corporate offices. The drivers are just numbers to the company and it seems like they are trying to fire drivers who have been there the longest and hire on new drivers at a much lower pay rate. I would not put one of my children on a Durham bus because of the mechanical issues. The buses are not safe, a couple of tires have come off of buses when they were driving down the road. There are a lot of issues going on at Durham and I think they should get out of the business. I think they would if someone would buy them out but they can not find anyone. Well I suggest no one gets a job there, drivers to managers.

Get rid of Corporate and your expensive offices and let the people in the field go back to taking care of the drivers.

There are newer employer reviews for Durham School Services