Durham School Services

www.durhamschoolservices.com
  www.durhamschoolservices.com
There are newer employer reviews for Durham School Services

I found this work to be one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs I have experienced.

Former Employee - Driver
Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Durham School Services

Pros

The children. It is all about "your" kids. You get out of the job what you put into the job. Great job for parents as your children can ride with you. You do not have to work weekends, you follow the schools' schedules. If you like to kids and driving, this if for you.

Cons

Route assignments are by seniority. As a new hire you get the leftovers although since the routes are subject to change especially in the beginning of the school year, you could end up with a good route. At the same time, the routes are subject to change so you need to be flexible.

Although I didn't have this problem, some of the drivers complained about favoritism. As is common with many companies there can be a lack of communication from the top (management) to the bottom (everybody else). I think it would be helpful to assign a "buddy" to new employees as it seems one learns by trial and error. I asked a lot of questions which helped me while others wouldn't find out "something" until it was too late.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Durham School Services (View Most Recent)

Company does not care about it's employees, nor does it listen to the people who do the work.

I worked at Durham School Services

Pros

I don't know of any pros of working for Durham unless you work at the corporate offices. There at corporate they have a nice new building, get free meals a lot and free flu shots.

Cons

When you do the actual work in the field for the company they do not appreciate it. The free flu shots at corporate should go to the drivers who are around the students. If you have a management position it is hard to get time off for vacation. You do not get compensated for extra hours worked but are required to work them when needed, which is a lot. The company tried to do a big transformation in which a lot of employees told them it would not work to the extent they wanted it to and they did not listen. They spent millions of dollars and now the whole transformation is gone. Now the people out in the field are getting cut in order for the company to save money and yet they still have those nice corporate offices. The drivers are just numbers to the company and it seems like they are trying to fire drivers who have been there the longest and hire on new drivers at a much lower pay rate. I would not put one of my children on a Durham bus because of the mechanical issues. The buses are not safe, a couple of tires have come off of buses when they were driving down the road. There are a lot of issues going on at Durham and I think they should get out of the business. I think they would if someone would buy them out but they can not find anyone. Well I suggest no one gets a job there, drivers to managers.

Get rid of Corporate and your expensive offices and let the people in the field go back to taking care of the drivers.

Views From a Former Regional Vice President

I have been working at Durham School Services

Pros

Learning about the transportation industry and everything associated with it is very interesting. From scheduling to routing, maintenance to dealing with parents and teachers.

Cons

The senior management team has almost ALL been replaced in the last year. The company is going through a complete change in leadership. The CEO was asked to retire....the former CEO was brought back for a short period to try and prepare things for the next CEO. Durham was charting a new course in its new and improved organizational structure...spent millions in developing new processes, new technologies (new to Durham), hired hundreds of business analysts from other transportation industries like UPS, FEDEX and HDL and then scrapped the whole thing. They do not understand strategic planning and leading from the front.

Go back to the basics in the transportation industry and find out what your customers really want. Grow at a pace that you can sustain. They jump on new contracts...bid like madmen and then can't support the new locations with what they promised.

There are newer employer reviews for Durham School Services