Dynamics Research

www.drc.com
  www.drc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dynamics Research

All aspects of the company show a blatant disinterest in employee retention; I have seen 20+ staff leave in six months.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dynamics Research

Pros

Easy parking, adequate benefits (not great)

Cons

General lack of communication from leadership to workers, lack of any consistent supervision or performance appraisal, lack of any sense of team or unity, lack of any sense of job security. The place is a revolving door with employees leaving constantly. There is no concern on part of supervisors/leaders, as all employees are considered highly expendable and replaceable. The bottom-line is all important. Not a good place to work at all!

Recognize that the most important resource is your employees and that having a happy and well integrated work force will ultimately lead to happier employees, improved work performance, satisfied clients and a stronger bottom line. This notion that employee turn-over doesn't eventually damage the company and the company's reputation is absurd. Washington DC is too small of a town and the fact is that the most highly qualified candidates will not consider working with a company with such a negative culture.

64 Other Employee Reviews for Dynamics Research (View Most Recent)

Reston Office: Revolving Doors...

Former Employee - Management Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Management Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Dynamics Research

Pros

Supports telecommuting as needed. Friendly work environment. That's about it:(

Cons

Poor management, lack of transparency, high turnover rate in Reston, very small office,

Look into why people are leaving the company.

DRC, A Very Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dynamics Research

Pros

Depending on your division, your willingness to work, and your success on the job, you can be treated very respectfully at DRC. I have been with the company for a while and have seen people who are hard workers and successful do quite well. Many in upper management are caring about their employees and do reward them appropriately. They will help you if you pull your weight. Bringing in new work is rewarded and very appreciated.

My boss all the way through the Sr VP (4 levels total) have always treated me well and I think that they are very good people that care about their staff more so than anything else. I think that they realize that people are what will make the company successful.

Many coworkers do a good or great job so you can rely on them. Individual teams or contracts seem to have a good and positive working relationship and camaraderie going on. They are generally a good bunch of people overall. Corporate support is generally adequate to very good, but can vary greatly by individual. If you know the right people to contact, things will go well.

DRC has upgraded most of its internal systems, so things are good in this area as well. Much is automated instead of papercopy and this is very nice.

You get to have a lot of input into your performance evaluation each year, so this is good as well.

Benefits seem to be very competitive and good at DRC. I think that they are better than many other companies I've personally seen (quite a few).

Cons

Depending on your division, it seems to be less rewarding to work here if you fall under divisional upper management who aren't as caring as others. If your manager doesn't care and your contract ends, you could be out on the street looking for a new job rather quickly. Also, just a small thing, but it seems as if local upper management (not in my chain of command) doesn't seem to care about things that might boost morale such as holiday parties, picnics, etc. Not a big deal, but still I see other companies that do these things and the people seem to like their company better. These types of activities don't cost a whole bunch, so could be done easily.

You are expected to work towards business development if you are on a contract - even if it is only with your current customer - this isn't necessarily a con, but many people don't seem to be very comfortable with this and haven't done it before they get to DRC.

Training is offered, but lots of times it is done so at corporate locations, so not everyone benefits. This has been a little disappointing to me.

While you do have input into your performance evaluation, raises are a little odd as the longer you've been here, the less of a raise you can earn if you've done well over time but haven't gone up in salary grade. Also, DRC's outlook on performance evals is that "meeting expectations" is doing everything that you are supposed to be doing and doing it all correctly. This does not exceed what they expect out of you (basically you're expected to be at 100% to meet their expectations). So if you are expecting a great evaluation, be aware that a DRC 'meeting expectations' is actually very good performance. This performance very likely would be another company's 'exceeding expectations'. These issues have not been a big problem for me, but I have seen it happen to others who seem to be very disappointed when it first happens to them as they weren't expecting it.

The only other issue seems to be that new hires are brought in at higher salaries than an internal promotion would get someone who's been with the company for a while. This seems unfair to me, but I get the idea that this is the way things work at lots of other companies too, so it's not a unique problem to DRC. I know from interviewing for open positions and doing market research that I and others are underpaid for what the market is paying for the same work and skills. However, money is not the only reason to stay at a company.

DRC seems to have a lot of subcontracts and it would be nice to see them get to be prime more often. Customer relationship management is difficult as a sub and I have seen many DRC employees get treated extremely poorly by primes - much more so than by the government or by DRC management. This makes it hard to come in to work knowing that the people you have to try to please most are going to treat you as the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong - but you have no recourse whatsoever. I am not sure what can be done about this, but it is an issue that I've seen on quite a few subcontracts.

Training, while fairly robust in content of what is offered, could be more accessible and encouraged to be done for the employees who express interest. Many of us need to stay up to date in the fields which we work in as we are technical folks. I feel that this has held me back and forced me to pay for training or testing that I would think should be willingly paid for by the company as this makes us more valuable in the long run. Technical training and certification (plus re-certification in many cases due to expiration) is not cheap by any means, so this would be an extremely welcomed improvement. To navigate getting everything approved in time for a course (especially an outside vendor course) has been very difficult and I never managed to see it happen for me personally. I have seen others get to do it, but not many. To me, this should be something that is made easy to do as it is very important.

For the upper management folks who are caring about and respectful to their staff, I thank you for your support - it has made DRC an enjoyable and rewarding experience for me.

There are newer employer reviews for Dynamics Research