E*TRADE Financial

www.etrade.com
  www.etrade.com
There are newer employer reviews for E*TRADE Financial

The place for a predictable, dead-end, service job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

Customers are relatively happy versus a big bank. But seriously, the big banks are VERY incompetent so how hard can it be??? Some good technology but poor hardware to back it up. You can pick up some more brokerage licenses vs. a typical bank. They haven't bounced a paycheck yet. Smaller size means the company is more responsive but not responsive enough versus its even smaller, niche rivals. A competent, all-around retail broker.

Cons

No room for advancement. No feeling of a future at this place. No feeling of accomplishment. Everyone is replaceable. Development of unique skills and/or strengths is not encouraged. I'm basically here to collect a weak paycheck; nothing more, and that really leaves you feeling like you're wasting your time. Darn, I'm bored! Constant concerns over bankruptcy, takeover, are they gonna shut down my office?, is my job gonna be shipped to Manila?, etc. But seriously, what can you do in this terrible economy??? I've seen some very capable people move on. Shabby offices. Decrepit furniture and 10-year old computers. Most of us gather on the weekend to drink and show-up bleary-eyed on Monday morning to start all over again. Is that really any way to end a week??? Numb the pain. Tax season is the pits and is one of the biggest reasons people quit.

Your employees are bored! You re-hash the same old stuff and claim its new to your customers! They are smarter than that! The baby ads are getting lame. Time for something new. You have no idea of the repressed talent at your fingertips that could be doing so much more. Harness it!

326 Other Employee Reviews for E*TRADE Financial (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

- Great teamwork within the group.
    - Excellent manager who watches out for his employees.
    - Interesting technology and projects.
    - Great sense of pride in work.
    - Great benefits and opportunity to grow your career.
    - Rewards are available for those who work hard and earn it.

Cons

- The position is not your typical Security Engineering role. More like Security Tools. Not network heavy like most Security Engineering teams.
    - Upper level management throws projects around or stalls/squashes projects randomly
    - Lots of politics on larger "Charged" projects that lead to dead-ends or delay/partial implementation.
    - No long term security vision from upper management. More plugging the gaps to cover.
    - No backup engineer for your projects. That means there is no on-call schedule, you are on-call for your stuff always. *I mention this as a con because it's not the norm. I personally like this better than on-call schedules and instills a sense of "eating your own dog food"
    - Management commonly give Production and development much higher priority than Security. Consistently feel like you there because they could not get rid of you (like life insurance. No one want's to pay it, but they do)

- Develop a long term plan for Security at E*TRADE.
    - Place a higher emphasis on Security with projects and peers.
    - Highlight the great benefits E*TRADE has. Many employees do not realize how good they are.

n/a

Former Employee - Operations Representative in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Representative in Arlington, VA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

location, schedule, people, experience, benefits

Cons

no room for advancement and little time off

stop micro managing