There are newer employer reviews for E*TRADE Financial

Really strong technology company

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

E*Trade has one of the strongest technology teams I have seen. It has a great working environment and many of the people have been with E*Trade for a number of years. This makes them very knowledgeable in what they do and that makes things so much easier

Cons

The only issue with E*Trade is stability of the company. You hear so many rumors of it getting acquired or not having a rosy future, you feel like you are on an unstable platform that may topple any minute.

300 Other Employee Reviews for E*TRADE Financial (View Most Recent)

Company has moved to hard sales. Not the E*TRADE I once knew....

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the work required the pay is pretty good. I have generally had a good experience with the people I work with...they generally do not hire the kind of person one normally associates with a brokerage firm (slicked hair, angry etc). Good base pay. I have made many, many friends who I will always be in contact with. Local Management has always been good to me.

They are very good about not requiring late hours, weekend work etc.

Cons

The comp plan for sales associates is the worst thing that has ever been excreted out of a human mind. Its very core is designed to cost you money at every turn. Client dies? Likely you will lose money. Client buys a house? You lose money. Client sells Mutual Funds? You lose money. And don't confuse this with a loss of retention or some hypothetical loss of continuing payments. You literally are charged from your bonus dollar for dollar. In other words, everything you sell will one day come back to cost you just as much, if not more (if it's value went up), than you were paid to sell it in the first place. Thousands of dollars a quarter will disappear due to things you have 0 control over. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that when this plan was introduced to me I scoffed at the hypothetical losses I saw coming.

Unfortunately they are not hypothetical anymore.

They live in their own world. I won't bother.

weighed down by poor management

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, most people are easy to work with. work/life balance is great.

Cons

management is poor and mired by favoritism. senior management has their pets who get promoted every year while high producing employees are passed over every year. there is a culture of saying no. projects have 17 rounds of approvals, and everyone is looking to say no.

get fresh talent from outside the company. too many internal hirings leads to an army of yes-men.

There are newer employer reviews for E*TRADE Financial

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!