There are newer employer reviews for E. & J. Gallo

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Services - Line Management in Modesto, CA
Current Employee - Information Services - Line Management in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo

Pros

Many opportunities for growth and development, cross functional training and assignments available for additional exposure. As long as you perform well, advancement opportunities come. The family atmosphere is is a welcome change from general corporate life. Yes, you need to work hard here but I have never done anything meaningful that I didn't have to work hard for. Have you? Our benefits package is excellent and Gallo even offers domestic partner benefits. There are a number of training programs available in addition to tuition reimbursement. And the company Wine Shop is an added perk! I enjoy working here and expect I will continue to do so for a long time...which is why you are considered a rookie with any less than 15 years here. Most people stay, which says a lot.

Cons

On occasion, there are people who are miserable in their jobs and nothing will make them happy. It's sad that we have had some of those people here who unfairly blame the company for their own lack of motivation.

Lead with your soul, engage in the methodology of Servant Leadership in order to get the best out of your employees. Stay consistent and fair with open communciation, always.

100 Other Employee Reviews for E. & J. Gallo (View Most Recent)

Gallo - Good experience but you better be willing to work long and hard.

Current Employee - Engineer in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo

Pros

The company is a industry leader in terms of research and development. They have a extensive scientific knowledge of the wine making process. They are extremely methodical in research and have experts in all aspects of wine making from oenology to manufacturing. Also the beginning salaries are high for the food and beverage industry. In terms of wine manufacturing they have the resources and the size to utilize new and innovative methods which is unique to the wine industry. Also the emphasize on safety is to a much higher level then I have observed at other companies. Safety is built into their culture.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. I receive e-mails at all times of day and night and there is an expectation that I will be on my blackberry to respond during weekends, vacations and holidays. Also there are pet projects from the Gallo family which do not have much merit but get pushed due to their influence. The politics in a company of this size is expected but the peaty nature is a bit shocking.

The turnover rate is also high from senior management to entry level professional staff. This is dependent on different departments but in the last couple years, the turnover has been increasing.

Please pay the long time employees appropriately!

Great company, good people want to work for them again

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at E. & J. Gallo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Constant moves due to advancement

Keep asking the questions, keep challenging the people

There are newer employer reviews for E. & J. Gallo