There are newer employer reviews for EA Engineering

Regional offices isolated and task specific

Former Employee - Scientist III in Syracuse, NY
Former Employee - Scientist III in Syracuse, NY

I worked at EA Engineering

Pros

Flexible with time off and work from home opportuities

Cons

Every office had specialty and not much room to branch out or build new business outside speciaty area

Advice to Management

Allow works to share work between offices

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nice people, decent job

Former Employee - Geologist I in Abingdon, MD
    Former Employee - Geologist I in Abingdon, MD

I worked at EA Engineering

Pros

Most people working at the company were exceedingly nice and driven to do good work. I was at a satellite office so I was able to meet and work with the same individuals over and over, outside of the more bureaucratic main office. The managers were relatively flexible if you followed through and did your best. The benefits were great, especially since it is an employee-owned company. They paid for any training and equipment I needed, and were open to suggestions. I had the opportunity to meet many people and work on a variety of projects.

Cons

There are many middle managers, so as a entry-level employee it was hard to imagine where I'd fit in the future.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure where the mentoring program is currently (it was being established as I was leaving), but it will definitely help to retain those entry-level employees that may leave after 2-3 years (a common phenomena during my time there). It would also be helpful to see where an entry-level employee could fit in the future, we don't want to be entry-level forever!

2. If you're serious about doing technical work and advancing your skills, do not come to EA.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best technical expertise is in the often abused and under-resourced satellite offices. Lincoln and Deerfield offices have the best potential and best skilled people.

Cons

"Unpaid Overtime - UNPAIDOT" is a category in time sheets. You will only be paid for the billable hours and un-billable proposals up to 40 per week, then all un-billable proposal time is expected to be donated to the company. Despite this, the break even multiplier is still extremely high, presumably due to an excessive corporate bonus structure, ridiculous rent for the corporate headquarters, massive corporate waste on perks, an abundance of vice presidents, and waste due to internal competition.

Advice to Management

Complete restructuring of the profit centers in advised, along with re-evaluation of the pay structure to allow for un-billable and billable overtime. How do you expect field people to grow work and manage projects when most have already worked 40 hours by Wednesday, and you won't pay the office time Thursday and Friday?