It was an okay early job; not a place for sticking around

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ipswich, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

EBSCO has a picturesque location, a subsidized cafeteria with good food, free coffee and some wonderful, decent and intelligent employees (who could probably do better elsewhere).

Cons

In customer-service jobs at EBSCO pay is relatively low, morale is low, there is no opportunity for growth and little incentive to be collaborative or helpful to your fellow employees. In fact, being kind or helpful to others by nature is more of a hindrance than a help at this company - you will really go crazy here if you are generally a helpful, proactive person. Execs should read the HBR article "In the Company of Givers and Takers" - there is a lot of infighting, arguing about responsibilities, and general unpleasantness. At the root of this is probably the fact that customer service employees are both underpaid and disrespected - oh, and uncompensated overtime is the norm.

If young employees are disrespected, underpaid and unappreciated they will eventually wise up and move on for greener ($$$$) pastures.

Other Reviews for EBSCO Information Services

Rapidly growing organization

Former Employee - Intern  in  Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Information Services as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people and huge potential to move upward. The organization is growing rapidly with chances for massive growth in the future.

Cons

Some positions have low wages, and there have been some efforts to cut costs across the company. There is some dissatisfaction among lower level employees.

Miserable Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Support  in  Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Support in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good location, beautiful setting on the Ipswich River.

Cons

Strange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it is to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and continued back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing!

Focus and refine your present products before developing more and more and more!

There are newer employer reviews for EBSCO Information Services.

Worked for EBSCO Information Services? Contribute to the Community!