EBSCO Publishing

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Laid back culture, good salary, tons of work

Cons

Incompetence of middle managers sometimes affects personal schedules

Make sure middle managers are not micromanagers and worry about the responsibilities at their level instead of trying to understand every single detail of subordinates' work.

72 Other Employee Reviews for EBSCO Publishing (View Most Recent)

Depressing Work Environment with Low Employee Retention

Former Employee - Abstracting and Indexing in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Abstracting and Indexing in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

The product itself is a helpful research tool. Indexing periodicals and writing abstracts can be interesting depending on the content. You learn well how to synthesize large amounts of information quickly. The cafeteria is reasonably priced and the staff are extremely friendly. Reimbursement for the commuter rail from Boston is a big perk.

Cons

After working here only a few months, the constant barraging of numbers and quotas really wore me down. The work environment is very impersonal and you sit in a large room among 100+ other abstractors without full cubicle walls (so people just walk around looking at everyone's screens) or phones at your desk. Although you literally almost never have to interact with any of your coworkers or customers, you are still expected to ask permission from your manager to alter your schedule by more than 15 min. Most people here seem to seriously lack social skills, this place is like a mecca for awkwards. For example, when I finally quit, my supervisor sent me a goodbye/goodluck email from his desk 15 feet away instead of speaking to me. The pay is lame, considering the absurd commute that most employees make to reach Ipswich. It seems like they would like to draw on the talent pool that Boston has to offer, but cant get any of them to stay because there is little opportunity for growth and its in the middle of nowhere.

This department could benefit by allowing workers a more flexible schedule or work from home options. The department would retain more specialized employees if employees could telecommute or were paid more.

A stingy company for average personal gain

Current Employee - Business Manager in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Good environment and friendly atmosphere

Cons

This is a company to work at if you like punching the clock and need no challenge but only stability. There's no room for advancement and the pay is poor.

Improve pay and benefits and share a vision for employee growth.

There are newer employer reviews for EBSCO Publishing