There are newer employer reviews for EF Education First

Great Company, but not for people who want fast growth

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel opportunity domestic and international, reliable expenses covered, training and development, office is big enough to find friends and people with similar interests. Intresting market to work in, blending education and travel. The values and experiences you are representing make it a very fulfilling job, with international opportunities if you invest years into a role. It's a great place to work for a few years but you may find yourself wanting more. While I was there, several large changes in company structure and culture took place

Cons

Political office, struggles to figure out a balance between corporate culture and individual personalities of staff, slow to change. Regardless of employees potential and results, you really have to put in the time to move up in the company and drink the company cool-aid. Speaking up against some things can get you in trouble. Some managers and directors were great to work with, others really got in the way of the companies potential

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from staff and and try and allow a more transparent work place

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You'd better like it fast and messy: proactivity and action are rewarded in a disorganized environment at EF

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work in a creative department at EF. While I wouldn't say that good ideas are rewarded, taking ACTION is. This is the kind of place that acclaims doers, not thinkers; we're constantly working on big and small ticket items. It's the kind of place that keeps you busy. If you are self-motivated and have a positive attitude, it's a great place to thrive. People are not nasty or uber-competitive; most are generally supportive and easy-going. Material benefits are good; health and dental are covered, vacation days are generous, you get to travel, and if you're an expat, you get one trip home a year on the house.

Cons

The entrepreneurial, "get it done" mentality also means that sometimes structure and order fall to the wayside and come in #2 (or #4... or #14... or #99). Roles can go ambiguous or undefined, with the onus on the employee to figure out exactly what it is they're supposed to prioritize. Managers are cool and generally supportive, but don't offer too much direction on a day-to-day basis. Taking matters into your own hands sometimes means that you will have wasted time on something nobody is going to use—which is why networking and listening are key skills to develop within the company. If you're a newbie to EF, it'll take 1 or 2 years to get used to how things work and know intuitively who to ask for this-and-that. This kind of company might not work for those looking for something structured, with a familiar corporate hierarchy—one reason the turnover is so high. Corporate mentorships don't exist at all; it's on you to find your own mentor. My word of advice if you're looking to get hired by EF: make sure that you know someone WELL within the company before doing so. A friend at the beginning of your time here will help you get acquainted with all of this company's quirks double-time and cut down on the time you spend dazed and confused; he or she will be infinitely more helpful than a mentor will be.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and don't be afraid to engage with them. Even if you can't solve the problem right away, a little one-on-one time makes us and our issues feel valued—and that's all we need to stay motivated.

Not a good place to work

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

It's international, yup that's it

Cons

Horrible benefits, work life balance, management and product