There are newer employer reviews for EFCO-Iowa

Some things never change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at EFCO-Iowa

Pros

Location is good for commuting. Newer office building is nice.

Cons

I agree with previous poster and it sounds like nothing has changed since I was there years ago. I would warn anyone thinking about going there for a job to realize that if you aren't a friend or pet of the owners you will stay in a dead-end job with very a poor chance for decent raises. Family-owned, and it shows in a negative response to anything the owner doesn't want to do. He has a "little boy" temper and isn't averse to letting it out on anyone that upsets him. His son, the apparent heir to the monarchy, is even worse.

Expect to be treated like a slab of meat. I've seen excellent employees marched out the door on Friday afternoon because the manager they worked for didn't like them. It was the worst environment I have ever experienced in a workplace. The office still has buzzers hanging in the halls to tell you when work and breaks start and stop. You will get a lecture if you aren't consistent in being at your desk as required - unless you are a smoker. It's OK for them to wander outside whenever they want to have a puff. If you, as a non-smoker, join them you will catch Hell for it.

Avoid this company like the plague. The smartest move I ever made in my career was to get out of EFCO.

Considering the number of times attempts were made to steer the CEO into a kinder, gentler workplace when I was there, and the reaction to those attempts, I have none. You aren't going to listen anyway.

7 Other Employee Reviews for EFCO-Iowa (View Most Recent)

EFCO Needs Work

Current Employee - General Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - General Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at EFCO-Iowa

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Friendly co-workers. Good location for employees to commute. Facilities are OK.

Cons

Incompetent upper management. Benefits are mediocre. Average salaries. Low respect for employees. People are appointed to management positions based on length of time with the company and not actual qualifications. Managers don't "manage" employees, but force the company to change policies for everyone. Decisions are made solely on the fact that that is what the CEO wishes to do, regardless of how much business sense it actually makes. Logic is not an everyday common occurrence with managers. No stable business rules exist.

Listen to all employees as well as respect their opinions.

Small company with big plans supported by small ideas.

Current Employee - Plant Manager
    Current Employee - Plant Manager

I have been working at EFCO-Iowa

Pros

Attracts top talent in construction field. Colleague's are talented and work towards a single goal. Too much in-fighting between departments and corporate takes a top down approach to policies and procedures without input from educated middle management base.

Cons

Lack of leadership or long-term perspective from senior management. No career path development. Typically see a mass exodus of talented employees who realize that opportunities for professional growth are limited.

Recognize top talent in organization and provide them with a clear career path to succeed. Replace senior management with individuals who have experience in their position and have a vision on how to improve and expand operations.

There are newer employer reviews for EFCO-Iowa