EFI

w3.efi.com

Once a good company but has since lost it's way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

The work hours are flexible to a degree. There are still some good people around, but they are jumping ship fast.

Cons

As described by many of the postings here already, the management is clueless. They essentially took a cash-cow and are milking it to its death. The Fiery has essentially been in maintenance mode for the last year with no new innovation coming from the huge R&D expenditure taken by the business division.

To be promoted either you have had to have been a reasonably good engineer at one time, which doesn't particularly make you a good manager, or you need to suck up to higher management. Your pay is based on who you suck up to - nothing to do with education, capabilities or accomplishments.

Overall this is a dying company with very limited room for growth or career progression. Most are hoping EFI gets bought out by one of our customers, but as the value of the company continues to decline this becomes less and less of a value proposition.

If management took any advice they probably wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. Essentially the management team needs to be replaced by competent business leaders, but as that has not happened in the last ten years, I can't see it happening now.

Other reviews for EFI

EFI - great people, cool technology, poor management team, dated coding practices and standards.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA

Pros

Excellent people, some of the best brains in color and imaging technology.
    Decent benefits.
    Flex time available in most departments.
    large start up!

Cons

Poor direction from executive management.
    Salaries are on lower side.
    Declining business.
    Poor vision / unimaginative management.

Trim the high level fat. Executives need to set examples by cutting their own corporate expenses, take a pay cut, etc.

It's all about the people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

People tend to stay at EFI for a very long time, really I think because of the people they are working with. It's a great team to be a part of. Management is also open to hearing your ideas, just as long as you are willing to step up to drive the solution.

People care about their work and take ownership. They are willing to come together as a team to deliver.

Cons

There is always a sense that we don't have budget. It doesn't matter what it is, it's assumed there's no money. This comes from the top. Even when the company was doing really well the purse strings were held very closely. I think that if we invested more in the right areas we would be able to build better solutions, instead of piecing things together with "what we have".

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Think strategically instead of focusing on near terms gains.

There are newer employer reviews for EFI.

Worked for EFI? Contribute to the Community!