There are newer employer reviews for EFI

A good company to work for, depending on the dept.

I have been working at EFI

Pros

EFI has a very nice campus with a view of the bay. The senior management seem competent and fairly approachable. They honestly don't like to have layoffs (though there have been) and they look for other ways to trim costs first. Most of the people are nice and intelligent. Compensation isn't bad. Many employees have been here for years and that says something good about EFI.

Cons

Some managers and directors are next to worthless. It's an OEM driven business which means that there is always tension between what the OEM wants (customization) and efforts to standardize. Not a very "green" place to work as lots of paper is wasted needlessly.

It probably will sound very hippy-dippy, but the worker-bees in my department should be allowed to find and hire our manager and director. We would be much more effective, innovative, dynamic, and contented if we were given the power to find and hire our own departmental leaders.

199 Other Employee Reviews for EFI (View Most Recent)

What a disaster

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI

Pros

Free Coffee, close to home.

Cons

Before EFI bought Vutek the company could release new products quickly and efficiently. When it was bought by EFI things went downhill very fast. People were brought in great numbers who knew nothing about the technology. The only thing these people seemed to offer was more paperwork and more politics. The people who had the experience were silenced and left out to pasture. I have never worked in a place where management is so politically motivated and I hope I never will again. I believe EFI is a good example of why US companies fail.

Why bother, they are not listening.

Once a good company but has since lost it's way

I have been working at EFI

Pros

The work hours are flexible to a degree. There are still some good people around, but they are jumping ship fast.

Cons

As described by many of the postings here already, the management is clueless. They essentially took a cash-cow and are milking it to its death. The Fiery has essentially been in maintenance mode for the last year with no new innovation coming from the huge R&D expenditure taken by the business division.

To be promoted either you have had to have been a reasonably good engineer at one time, which doesn't particularly make you a good manager, or you need to suck up to higher management. Your pay is based on who you suck up to - nothing to do with education, capabilities or accomplishments.

Overall this is a dying company with very limited room for growth or career progression. Most are hoping EFI gets bought out by one of our customers, but as the value of the company continues to decline this becomes less and less of a value proposition.

If management took any advice they probably wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. Essentially the management team needs to be replaced by competent business leaders, but as that has not happened in the last ten years, I can't see it happening now.

There are newer employer reviews for EFI