ELS Language Centers
els.edu Princeton, NJ 150 to 499 Employees

A good short-term experience, a little too unstable to consider for a long-term career.

Associate Instructor (Former Employee)
Berkeley, CA

ProsThe center management (AD, CD) at ELS Berkeley was pretty great. The students were really fun and definitely more motivated than other private language schools I've worked at (and even some universities and CCs). ELS is the most put together ESL curriculum I've seen, and that comes from their long history in the field. The fact that passing their 112 class can be used as an alternative to TOEFL should tell you how legit they are. The materials provided were good, and teachers are given a lot of freedom to contribute their own lessons and materials. I really like the in-service training they provide--I have my MATESL, but their online modules are good refreshers, and the in-person meetings were very helpful. The compensation was very fair...better than any other private school that I've seen.

The best thing here is the community. The other teachers were very helpful with giving advice about students and lessons. People share materials and ideas in the staff room, and it built a good sense of solidarity.

ConsBecause it's a for-profit company, the copyright restrictions on materials in the classroom can be a bit constraining. Teaching at ELS falls under "commercial use," so you can't use TED talks and podcasts and videos unless they've already been approved.

Also, the 4 week session calendar is pretty rough if you're new there. Depending on enrollment, you may or may not have a job after four weeks. I definitely don't recommend moving to a new location for this job unless you've got another one in your back pocket, because there are no guarantees. You find out the day before classes start if you have a class (or classes), and if so, what those levels are. It would be pretty stressful as a new instructor. But for someone who either has a more constant afternoon/evening job, or for someone who just wants to start in the field, it's a great crash course in teaching.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some sort of test bank for teachers. We're not experienced test developers, so it would be beneficial to have some examples for the quizzes and tests during the session, especially for the Masters Level RW classes.

So much paperwork for so little pay

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ELS Language Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great students and awesome teachers! Health benefits for teachers working… Cons: Badly managed. Fearful middle managament constantly dump on the teachers. Crazy system of giving teachers their assignment the day they start teaching. Antiquated textbooks. Teachers… Advice to Senior Management: Spend one month a year teaching a full load and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Tough but Worth It

English As A Second Language (ESL) Instructor (Former Employee)
    San Rafael, CA

I worked at ELS Language Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros: Working here gives you the chance to meet young people from all over the world without traveling out of the country (mostly East Asian students,… Cons: They hire many teachers during the summer--prime time for them--and the chances of staying on afterward are slim. A new session begins every 4 weeks, and… Advice to Senior Management: Do a better job educating yourself about your clients' disabilities and the possible consequences of the way you deal with them. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on ELS Language Centers.

Worked for ELS Language Centers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ELS Language Centers reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by ELS Language Centers employees.