great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

evaluations are fair and decisions are logical

Cons

working here will not make you rich

Advice to Management

great work!

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

1. Overall Satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in White Plains, NY

Pros

Very fair compensation and benefits in comparison to other jobs in the same field. Benefits include extensive vision, dental and medical. The cost of these benefits are very good in comparison for what you get. Additionally, vacation time policies are reasonable. Working remotely is often acceptable in the software divisions as long as the privilege is not abused. At my site, dress is casual and the people are friendly. There is a growing culture of having social opportunities in the workplace. EMC also provides a lot of opportunities to grow your skills, you just need to take advantage of them. There is a reasonable tuition reimbursement policy, and many training courses offered online and on site.

Cons

Culture varies from location to location. Although casual at my site, some sites have a strict dress code. Additionally, some sites have additional perks, such as a pool, or laundry, or subsidized lunches. Primarily the Massachusetts locations have these "extra" benefits. Many of the satellite offices are lacking in these benefits. Bonuses are set by employee created goals, however, often times additional goals are handed down from upper management. Sometimes these additional goals align poorly to the employee's job responsibilities. Currently there are some groups that work in silos. This makes cross functional work more difficult and sometimes leads to a duplication of efforts. Changes are, however, underway to change this behavior.

Advice to Management

1 - Improve the rewards and recognition program. 2 - Try to make sure benefits are distributed to all sites (ex. subsidized lunches) 3 - Focus efforts on improving the silo culture especially as more companies are acquired.

2. Passion, Smarts, Drive and Results Rule at EMC

Current Employee - Vice President in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hopkinton, MA

Pros

The drive, passion, motivation and 'set the bar at best' expectations of the peers. The environment continually renews and no day is EVER dull. The career opportunities are limitless. We have offices in over 80 countries and have made over 40 acquisitions in the last four years. There are several business units that people can transfer in and out of. The training programs have been rated as the best in all of the technology industry by Training Magazine for the past two years. In 2008, Training rated EMC second in the world to all companies in all industries for our training and development offerings. In my time at EMC, I have worked four different departments and have taken on a new assignment (career growth) every 12 - 36 months. I've worked for the company for over 15 years.

Cons

No day is ever dull. This is a company that executes and expects great work. You need to bring your A-game every day. Your peers expect the best from you. It is a place where only the truly passionate, smart, creative, customer-centric, results-centric and motivated thrive. If you hit that level of performance, you will be rewarded and feel great personal accomplishment. This is not a place big on cuddles and 9-5 hours. Our version of fun is 'challenge' and delivering a win against that challenge. We're all goal focused and accountable to the business results.

Advice to Management

They're doing a great job -- getting EMC into social media and true global collaboration has been a big win in the past year. It is building a feeling of a small company culture even though we now have about 40,000 employees. We're getting more progressive on alternative work schedules and work locations. We're piloting a big program on that now. It would be nice to get this program rolled out to everyone even faster.