There are newer employer reviews for EMC

great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

evaluations are fair and decisions are logical

Cons

working here will not make you rich

great work!

1981 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

Overall Satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in White Plains, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Very fair compensation and benefits in comparison to other jobs in the same field. Benefits include extensive vision, dental and medical. The cost of these benefits are very good in comparison for what you get. Additionally, vacation time policies are reasonable.
    Working remotely is often acceptable in the software divisions as long as the privilege is not abused.
    At my site, dress is casual and the people are friendly. There is a growing culture of having social opportunities in the workplace.
    EMC also provides a lot of opportunities to grow your skills, you just need to take advantage of them. There is a reasonable tuition reimbursement policy, and many training courses offered online and on site.

Cons

Culture varies from location to location. Although casual at my site, some sites have a strict dress code. Additionally, some sites have additional perks, such as a pool, or laundry, or subsidized lunches. Primarily the Massachusetts locations have these "extra" benefits. Many of the satellite offices are lacking in these benefits.
    Bonuses are set by employee created goals, however, often times additional goals are handed down from upper management. Sometimes these additional goals align poorly to the employee's job responsibilities.
    Currently there are some groups that work in silos. This makes cross functional work more difficult and sometimes leads to a duplication of efforts. Changes are, however, underway to change this behavior.

1 - Improve the rewards and recognition program.
    2 - Try to make sure benefits are distributed to all sites (ex. subsidized lunches)
    3 - Focus efforts on improving the silo culture especially as more companies are acquired.

A great company to work for, but you have to buy its culture.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Ireland, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Ireland, IN

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The salaries and work conditions are good compared to the other companies I worked for. The base salaries are fair according to experience, diplomas...
    Based on my own experience you get pressure but at a reasonable level and you don't have to go through the pains of micromanagement. I have been let lots of latitude for initiative, and I have been listened when suggesting changes... even though they did not implement them all.
    One more thing to consider as a Technical Support Engineer is that I have been given proper computers to works with, it's the basic stuff, but it's been the case all the time with my previous employers.

Cons

It's a very big companies which bought loads of others, and it's easy to sometimes get lost between the departments, the branches. Also work experience can vary a lot depending on the department.

Ensure uniformity of practice throughout the whole company. There are discrepancies on how the employees are treated.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC