There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC - after 17 years

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Company is very bottom line oriented.
Rewards people with stock and bonus.

Cons

Employees expected to work 60 hours/week.
Lots of out sourcing

Do less out sourcing

1945 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

Excellent and Caring Management, Awful Processes

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful people, culture is changing for the better.

Cons

Processes take forever, lots of red tape, long contractor periods before permanent hiring.

Push harder to help change the culture and keep key talent.

One of the best... but more so if you live in a major city and know the right people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid company that cares about its Brand and reputation. Hires solid professionals and typically pays very competitively. EMC had a yesteryear reputation for being like the 'evil empire' that had lackluster products with super aggressive salesmen. They have seemingly tried to correct this by building a huge portfolio of industry leading products and have captured market share in numerous areas.

Cons

You would think that a company that is as invested in technology as EMC is that they could allow many jobs to be done from remote locations. But truth be told- the company seems to place a lot of value on having you in a major office location. If you live in such a location; it might not be a problem. If you are hoping to have an all remote job; they seem to struggle with this concept even when the job doesn't have requirements for working at an office.

Another issue is that; internal to EMC a fair number of promotions are given out to people without being posted or competed for by any visible means. I know this is common when dealing with leadership; but it can make you feel like more of a 'nobody' when: not only do you not have a promotion to aim for, but even worse when you don't even see what the qualifications required for specific jobs are. Then one day you see an announcement that someone you never knew (or never heard of) is now your bosses, bosses boss. When the big leadership jobs just seem to be orchestrated by leadership... it puts you at a distance if you are not a member of the 'club'...

I know it seems brilliant that you know exactly the right person for the role; but it sends a loud message to those of us, that you might not know very well. Just because we might be individual contributors; it doesn't mean we cant lead or that we haven't served in leadership positions previously. And if you don't make these positions visible before you fill them; it makes it seem like there is no specific way to qualify yourself for such a position. It makes it seem like the qualifications are knowing the right person and being in the right place at the right time. Not, how hard you work, how smart you are or how much potential you might have.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!