EMC

www.emc.com
  www.emc.com
There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...before we throw you out.

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

EMC's sales organization is truly world class- we hire aggressive, ambitious, young professionals. Lots of former athletes and military guys, all of whom are extremely competitive and do not like to lose. From a professional development standpoint, these qualities are an advantage, because being surrounded by type A's and other high achievers forces you to compete every day and find ways to succeed at any cost. The compensation is good, not great, but more than adequate to pay the bills! And the brand recognition on a resume is very powerful- I get calls from headhunters several times per week saying "my client specifically wants to hire someone from EMC".

Cons

The culture can be very cutthroat- this is the downside of everyone having a "win at any cost" mentality. Also, the politics are "old boys club" style- if you want to get ahead, recognize that "who you know" and more importantly "who likes you"' are essential to your career, so skipping the bar after work can be detrimental to your career.

Work on fostering a little more diversity in management styles.

2046 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

Low employee morale

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at EMC

Pros

In some cases being a large company there is opportunity for advancement in your field.

Cons

Poor managment communication, unclear direction for many of the groups within EMC, extremely low employee morale. Managment was unwilling to incent/reward top performers to retain talent within the group, instead focusing on bringing in low cost employees with little or no experience. Having been part of a software company prior to acquisition by EMC, the changes EMC implemented have all but destroyed the product line.

When hiring sales people, you get what you pay for. Hiring people at the lowest cost and not retaining talent is going to have a serious affect on the company in the long run.

Earn More competitively

Current Employee - Solutions Principal in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Solutions Principal in Westborough, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Strong future in growing markets

Cons

Limited personal growth and a lack of vision

Encourage and value more cross department oportunities

There are newer employer reviews for EMC