There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...before we throw you out.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

EMC's sales organization is truly world class- we hire aggressive, ambitious, young professionals. Lots of former athletes and military guys, all of whom are extremely competitive and do not like to lose. From a professional development standpoint, these qualities are an advantage, because being surrounded by type A's and other high achievers forces you to compete every day and find ways to succeed at any cost. The compensation is good, not great, but more than adequate to pay the bills! And the brand recognition on a resume is very powerful- I get calls from headhunters several times per week saying "my client specifically wants to hire someone from EMC".

Cons

The culture can be very cutthroat- this is the downside of everyone having a "win at any cost" mentality. Also, the politics are "old boys club" style- if you want to get ahead, recognize that "who you know" and more importantly "who likes you"' are essential to your career, so skipping the bar after work can be detrimental to your career.

Work on fostering a little more diversity in management styles.

1907 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

EMC is a big company

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Exciting tech. Fast paced. Fair.

Cons

Some silly bureaucracy, but don't all big companies have this.

I think their compensation is a little out of whack.

EMC is a good place to work if you can work hard and don't mind flexable hours.

Current Employee - Implementation Delivery Engineer  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Implementation Delivery Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at EMC

Pros

If you do a good job and work hard, yoiu have the ability to move up in pay quite quickly. EMC is a well respected company and you get to work with some of the newest technologies. Working in the field, you're free to work at home when you're not at customers'.

Cons

The company is so big that it is sometimes hard to get ahold of specific information. Also being in the field, EMC can potentially take over your life. They'll work you 60 hours or more a week if you let them.
    Sometimes travel is required for weeks at a time, although not usually. Hours can be all over the place, evenings, weekends, etc.

When making organizational changes in field, have a rollout plan. Don't just command changes from the top without any instruction and expect it to work on cutover day.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!