There are newer employer reviews for EMC

World class company and employer - the best in the industry!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Human Resources in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would confidently say that EMC is one of the best companies to work for. For any top professional who is looking for an opportunity to be innovative, grow their career and be part of a culture that rewards for performance and embraces the "work hard, play hard" mentality, EMC is the place to be. One of the BEST parts about working at EMC is the opportunity to work with the brightest people in the industry! Whether it's in HR, Finance, Operations or Sales, EMC has the best talent, which is what differentiates us from our competitors.

Cons

If you want to work at EMC, just be prepared to work hard. Being an EMC employee does require some personal commitment, but the rewards are great.

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

1. Past few years sucked but now on the right direction with awesome long term strategy and focus on customers

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management knows what they are doing. Very promising long term strategy for IIG. Open communication and on a regular basis. Customers come first. Team spirit. Focus on mobile, cloud and new user. A lot of smart people around.

Cons

Catching up since a few past Presidents took the company to the ground. HR allows no negotiation during compensation review.

Great benefits, but company skimps on raises

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and hours are flexible. Benefits are really good--10k tuition reimbursement per year, with a one time 5k cash advance to get you started. The HSA is a great deal for healthy young employees.

Cons

If you're hired out of college, EMC pretty much gives you no incentive to stay. The raises are a joke, even for high performers, and even after promotions. A senior software engineer that was hired out of school and promoted will make much less than a senior software engineer hired from another company, regardless of talent. It's demoralizing when you get top ratings on your performance review, but your salary doesn't come close to what the market is offering. When I left EMC, my new company offered me 20k+ more. I know many talented engineers hired out of school that fell into this situation as well. It's still a good company to work for out of school because the entry level salary is competitive and benefits are top notch (especially if you pursuing a part time degree). But keep your skill sets sharp and an eye out on the market salary. After 2-3 years the difference will probably be big enough to lure you away.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top talent hired out of college, pay them a competitive salary and keep it competitive. If you wait until they start job searching to make a counter offer, it'll be too late.