There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Good company, each group has a different personality so be careful when applying for a job

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company, good benefits, lots of internal training. Typical big company benefits.

Cons

Many people work remotely, even if they are local. Its hard to do group projects at times when its all done by phone or webex, when an hour in front of a whiteboard would be best.

Some organizations like to drive their business like a startup, or pretend to be a startup, but the senior management operates like typical hands-off big-company beaurocrats instead of the committed hands-on executives found in real startups.

Advice to Management

Senior EMC management (Tucci's team) is great. Tucci needs to get his middle management executives out of their endless program reviews with tens of program managers and into the trenches with the mainstream development teams.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to work for. Training is top notch

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Everyone is there to help out. Really good training and decent compensation.

Cons

Too much fun at work. Wife wants me home more. Sometimes we are given so many opportunities it's hard to decide which direction to go.

Advice to Management

None

Company looking to hire at the cheapest possible wage

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I changed divisions withing emc and I always had smart and friendly colleagues.

Cons

- When I moved from east coast to the west coast, the HR offered no relocation, inspite of me asking him a few times
    - got a promotion but got only 3% raise
    - After 5 years when I applied outside, i realized I was being paid 40% below the market(stock+bonus)
    - Always interview outside emc, every 2 years to understand your worth so you can negotiate with HR

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. You cannot expect to get good engineers in California, if you are going to pay then 30-40% below the market.