EMC

www.emc.com
  www.emc.com
There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC - overall good experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cork (Ireland)
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at EMC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I spend two years working for EMC as a contractor. I was working on 2 different projects prior to the assignment to the project I was hired to work on. It was good experience however. There were friendly and competent people around. No to little overtime. Great and affordable food in the canteen. Lots of benefits for employees (not for contractors).

Cons

Not too much cons there actually. I have been told salaries for permanent employees in Ireland aren't the best. For contractors it wasn't too bad however. Bad news for those who doesn't like to be hired through agency - it looks like EMC doesn't do direct hires. When letting a contractor go they are calling the agent to do that.

2046 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

Overall a good place to make a career

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, employe stock purchase program, registered retirement savings plan match and save program. recognition and financial incentives for good work.

Cons

requires being able to keep calm under pressure, customer can be demanding when they spent a few million, minimum amount of politics...mostly customer related

not all managers are equal, some can be sticklers on relatively low impacting issues when the overall goal is achieved. some can also be "tight budget" using half you operational budget could be considered shooting yourself in the foot when quality work is delivered. i happen to report to an excellent senior mangers which makes my vision of things different from some of my colleagues

Like carbonated drink - fizzles at first, then reality kicks in.

Current Employee - Changing in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Changing in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

hyper dynamic. things can change according to market sentiments. Which means you are on the technology that's hot....

Cons

Because of the cons, it will appear as if the direction is misplaced. Trying to pursue a certain direction when the organization is not built for it. Inward looking and product centric. Very "what is in the next quarter" type of mindset. Does not feel like it is built to sustain in the long term.

If solutioning is the way, wipe out the compensation based on product. Rewards drives behavior, and employees are indirectly encouraged to push the product down the throat of customers in the name of 'speed' and 'highly compatible'

Too much overlays in the organization, and too much 'product segmentation' despite all the good efforts to 'consolidate'. On the ground, its still swimming through the internal maze to get things done. Too slow to respond to customer request... thinking customer is still purely interested in raw technical supremacy.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC