EMC More Concerned About Numbers than People

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Good benefits. Paychecks arrive on time in my account. Travel expenses are processed quickly.

Cons

Too large a company, incredible bureaucracy making it frustrating to get the simplest things done. Too much hierarchy, old style management. The hardware side has no idea how to run a software company. Company encourages yes-men and does not support innovation. Company is too focused on the lowest dollar cost vendor without accounting for the resource and efficiency benefits that are lost when you go with the low-bidder.

Advice to Management

Decide on a vision and execute. Trust your employees to make good decisions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. EMC + Evil Mean Cruel

Former Employee - Human Resources in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Milford, MA

I worked at EMC

Pros

Overall compensation and benefits are pretty good

Cons

Verbal abuse by management coupled with a lack of appreciation or respect

Advice to Management

Basic management training would go a long ways

I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation

Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management in White Plains, NY

I worked at EMC

Pros

EMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

Cons

I was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.