EMC

There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Intern Perspective

Former Employee - Systems Integration in Franklin, MA
Former Employee - Systems Integration in Franklin, MA

I worked at EMC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There were many out-dated technologies in use and therefore many opportunities to update them by converting Perl scripts to Python.
There were also some opportunities to write new scripts, but overall very little programming is truly required.
Position provides experience if you are willing to put in the time to learn the technology.
The group I was in has a number of great people.

Cons

Occasionally the atmosphere can be very political and cliquey.
Sometimes coworkers can be cranky on Monday mornings and will often be very short tempered which is not the most enjoyable at times.
There is not a ton of constant supervision unless there is an urgent item that needs to be dealt with. With that said, the learning is primarily unstructured and requires you to use outside sources to learn new technologies.
The environment did not strike me as one where people can move up the ranks quickly as your seniority is deemed by the number of years you have been working there (with the first promotion at typically something like 5 years).
Coworkers may also need to be reminded frequently in order for things to actually be completed.
People with less experience were being paid more than me to complete the same job.
There were no additional opportunities to take on additional responsibilities as was initially indicated during the interview process.
The work environment is also incredibly loud and constantly was around 90+ decibels which meant that everyone wears headphones at work to avoid hearing damage. Often times I would leave work and could still hear the humming of the drives hours later.

Please stop trying to market your own products to your employees. Employees should not be receiving these marketing emails even once per week.

2019 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

It is a great company

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Worke life balance is priority

Cons

Long on boarding process with difficult to work with third party vendor

Software Co-op

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Best working environment, good money, friendly people , nice projects, not too far away

Cons

Work too much, scrum everyday, small gym, must have your car

Best place to start your career

There are newer employer reviews for EMC