EMC

www.emc.com

Stuck in the 1970s

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsThey have a nice gym with a swimming pool, and a cafeteria that's partly subsidized. Hopkinton is easy to get to from I-495, although that assumes you have a car.

ConsNo "work-life balance." Mgt. refuses to permit telecommuting or flex time because "that's not how we do things." It's all about face time and obeisance to the idea that the job is the most important thing in your life. Those who resist are subject to guilt trips. I encountered managers at various levels who should not have been in their jobs. Some were abusive toward underlings. Others were regarded as incompetent even by their peers, but were "protected" for political reasons. Atmosphere is very "Whitey McWhiteville" in that particularly smug and parochial suburban way, and there's most definitely a glass ceiling for women. EMC strings along contractors for years and years with promises of full-time jobs with benefits. Sometimes they make good on this promise; often they don't. And they love their meetings, to the point that they interfere with getting one's job done. Finally, they're major offshorers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe other one-star commenter who said that giving advice was pointless, because EMC is not open to change, was correct. They're dinosaurs. The unfortunate thing is that when they eventually fail, they will take a huge chunk of the regional economy along with them.

EMC More Concerned About Numbers than People

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros: Good benefits. Paychecks arrive on time in my account.… Cons: Too large a company, incredible bureaucracy making it frustrating to get the simplest things done. Too much hierarchy, old style management. The hardware side has… Advice to Senior Management: Decide on a vision and execute. Trust your employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Top class storage company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros: best work culture, good peer groups, can grow.. Cons: job security is not very good. Advice to Senior Management: Continue the way you guys are doing. cheers Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on EMC.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!