EMC

There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Content Management Architect

Former Employee - Architect in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Architect in McLean, VA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technical resource when out in the field consulting and benifit

Cons

Company is big so you will fell like you're in the rat race to get where you want to go.

2056 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

This place is inconsistent at best, and a lot of jobs are going to India. Irvine, CA is in the process of shutting down.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company health benefits, overly restrictive 401K. Annual email blasts from upper management will try to convince you to vote as Best Place to Work in the US, so the entertainment value is high if you like drama. In fact, if you like drama this might be your best place to work. No I'm serious.

Cons

Management communication quality is among the worst. They opened a new "Center for Excellence" in India and started sending jobs there once someone in upper management from India was installed in the ranks. So while they may be hiring in Irvine, CA for some positions, rest assured that as soon as they can replace you they will.

It's OK to hire good managers, and to churn the bad ones. You've done neither very well. Some of these people routinely expose you to litigation on a weekly basis. I chuckle under my breath when I think of the other companies I've seen that also took a big fail on this (Motorola).

EMC IS EVIL!! Avoid the torture...

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money in bank. EMC is very good at stashing lots of cash away while giving employees no annual pay raise!

Cons

So many... (1) Employees are pressured to work without end. I come home from work after an 8AM-8PM period and open the laptop on the kitchen table (including many weekends). (2) Big releases are pitched as "we need to get this done to save our jobs!" (3) Release occurs and makes enormous money and then .... they lay off a lot of the design team. They call it "reshaping", "searching for top talent", "getting rid of the deadwood", .... They make up nice catchy terms for laying off U.S. workers and outsourcing as much as possible to China.

EMC product cycle includes: (1) Hiring smart/qualified U.S. workers ("top talent") to design and develop the new product under great stress ("permanent employee"). (2) Releasing the new product and performing initial maintenance releases. (3) Transferring all future support/maintenance to the China team. (4) Laying off many of the U.S. workers and labeling them "deadwood".

I've worked in the high tech industry for over 30 years and have never been part of such an evil culture. There are many managers at EMC who enjoy disrupting peoples lives and laying them off. You will be passively threatened each day at this company with losing your job. Your manager will readily throw you under the bus and blame problems on you.

And the truth is this company has very little innovation. Most of the work is porting the existing millions of code lines writing back in the 1990's to newer faster processors. This company simply buys other companies when it needs to innovate. Thus if you like code porting then you might like one thing about EMC.

Go back in time and run a concentration camp.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC