There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC is an ethical employer and I was quite satisfied with my 13 years of employment.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

EMC clearly articulates company values and objectives at the top level.

Cons

EMC values and objectives are often lost at the divisional level. Upward mobility in your career is limited as they often hire from the outside. Many have quit EMC and been rehired at upper levels. EMC does not give an opportunity to apply for other positions before a person is laid off.

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

1. Great company, tough politics.

Pros

Great pay, lots of flexibility, good benefits. I've been here a little while, and it is the best place I've worked. I love my team, and am planning on staying.

Cons

Sometimes the huge bureaucracy can be annoying, but overall it's ok. The company is somewhat old-school management-wise.

Advice to Management

Please keep up to date with the rest of the tech industry.

2. Great company - but internal movement can be difficult.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In Sales, management strives to set your targets to be achievable. You should expect to get to your targeted earnings. Plenty of great people who will help you out and become close friends and mentors. Easily accessible office locations no matter where you are. Products that are class leading and even class defining. Great benefits. Plenty of training options.

Cons

Not everywhere - but in my Division, management wants things done a certain way and any deviation is not tolerated. Even if you make your number, you could still be singled out. Risk taking is rewarded only if you are successful. If you take a risk that doesn't pay off - better get your resume polished. Management by spreadsheet. They are firm believers of stack ranking people and getting rid of the bottom person. That was more prevalent a few years back, but it still exists in presales. In my experience, internal mobility was limited. To be considered for an internal move, you have to make sure your manager is aware. Once you tell your manager, you are considered a flight risk and they immediately start looking to replace you. If you don't get the job, you are still marked and viewed with suspicion.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees. And reward them for thinking different.