There are newer employer reviews for EMC

People company dealing in technology.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Draper, UT
Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Draper, UT

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best people I have had the privilege to work with to date in my career. A leader in the storage and cloud industry. Large base of huge customers, if you have heard the name of a company on TV, they are an EMC customer. Work from home option for some teams. Frequent access to training and certification materials. Competitive allotment of time off and vacation.

Cons

A lot of talk at hire date of career potential and growth opportunity. Two years later, I don't know how to get promoted or move up within my current role. No one has been able to tell me the criteria needed to advance from TSE2 to 3 or 4, much less to another business unit or division. It seems the best option for career growth is to hire into the position you eventually want to get to on day 1, aside from a lateral move to another product line or moving into a management role.

Advice to Management

Follow through on the promises of career development. Provide a clear path and help plan for achievement.

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

Software Engineer in IIG

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance Nice people

Cons

The IIG group is basically dying a slow death. All our products are being sunsetted and offshored. There is very little growth and investment in new products. There is very little direction as to where we are headed as far as products.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you want to go. Improve the quality of the products. Focus more efforts on fewer things.

2. Good job, but not a great career

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Pleasant Grove, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market leader with multuple large enterprise customers. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Way too old fashioned and slow in making decisions. Processes are antiquated and cause too much undo stress with frequent reactionary changes. They don't seem to have a plan and stick to it long enough. Management is very focused on upward mobility of themselves. Very small chances to move up as an individual contributor

Advice to Management

Form a plan and stick to it. There are too many companies with nice perks to think people want to work here just because of the name on the door.