There are newer employer reviews for EMC

EMC, not the place to work anymore

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

none that i can think of. pay is ok and you don't have to work hard, if that is what you like

Cons

limited movement between orgs and/or job functions

Advice to Management

do something about the stock

reviews filtered by

If you're looking for a job, look to EMC first.

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at EMC

Pros

EMC is an amazing place to work, with unlimited possibilities. As an employee, you have a huge amount of information at your fingertips, and their training programs are awsome. I took this job right out of college, so it was perfect for me to get my fingers into everything, even if the job didn't require it. There is a lot of opportunity for job growth as well, you can continue along the 'track' of your choice up to a particular position, or you can switch tracks with your managers approval. If you decide what you're doing isn't right for you, there's another job within EMC waiting for you. I also love to travel, which fits perfectly with my job at EMC, and as I get older and want to settle, they have residency programs to keep travel to a minimum. And because EMC is world-wide, I can always put in for a transfer if I want a change of scenery. Stock options, yearly reviews, good health care and 401k options complete picture.

Cons

EMC is a big company, and with any big company, you might feel a bit small to begin with. EMC also requires a two year contract for certain positions, such as mine, which limits mobility for that time.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing, as long as I feel recognized for my work I'll be happy.

Fully understand the culture to ensure that it's the right decision for you

Current Employee - Services Program Manager in Franklin, MA
    Current Employee - Services Program Manager in Franklin, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The money is good, but you sell your soul in exchange.
    If you live in the suburbs, it's conveniently located.
    Benefits are good.
    It is the market leader, so there is a lot of brand recognition.

Cons

EMC is a boys' network with no respect for diversity. Most of the management grew up in this company and does not know life outside of EMC. It is a very aggressive, male-dominated culture that promotes cutthroat, by any means necessary behavior. Sexism and sexual harassment are rampant, though the company adamantly denies it! It is a daily occurrence for women in roles that are even closely related to the Sales organization. There are minimal/no consequences for illegal/unethical behavior if the individual is driving a high sales number. The company speaks about its ethics, but does not encourage ethics in business decisions. Sales reps will do whatever it takes to win a deal, even if it means burning a bridge with the customer in the long term for a short term gain.

Promotion is based largely on connectedness to the inner circle. There is far too much fraternization - everyone is related and that influences key promotion decisions. People that are connected are part of a protected class of employees that can do virtually anything they please and suffer no consequences.

The morale is very low in some areas. People feel limited in their growth opportunities because of the informal power structure. Many talented individuals have left, or are actively searching for outside employment opportunities.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to respect its employees, listen to feedback and not bury its head in the sand as it relates to issues of sexism and lack of diversity. The culture continues to be predominantly young white men and this is largely because people hire who they know. "Breaking the glass ceiling" requires a lot of sacrifice! They will cite a few examples of high profile women, but these are the exception, not the rule. Work/life balance is not a priority in this company. Most of the highest ranking professional women in this organization are unmarried or do not have children. They need to recognize the need for more flexible work options that promote the importance of family. And most importantly, there need to be consequences for illegal and unethical behavior, regardless of who commits it! People cannot be protected from this. There are too many blind eyes turned when sexual harassment, illegal business practices, or other unethical acts occur.