EMC

www.emc.com
There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Makes a great product, but values its stockholders more than its employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Has a pleasant environment, excellent training, always looking to improve the product. Allows you room for personal growth and invites you to express your ideas. They are especially good with work to life balance.

Cons

Has an appalling methodology for determining wages increases, where they calculate the percentage of pay increase for the group as a whole, but the percentage is often lower than the rate of inflation. Then, when they divide it up between the various employees, some get little or even nothing. Upper management is apparently unaware that cost of living increases require salary increases just in order to keep up.

Obviously, you must show your stockholders that you manage your money well. But please don't do it at your employees' expense.

2126 Other Employee Reviews for EMC (View Most Recent)

EMC summer internship (engineering)

Current Employee - College Student in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - College Student in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Nice office in Hopkinton, high quality of life
    -Interesting work
    -Free+unlimited coffee and tea
    -Lots of parking
    -Gyms in every building, cafeterias

Cons

-Awful, awful on-boarding efforts for new employees: Will take you weeks to gain access and equipment you need

Worst Internship Experience I've Had

Former Employee - College Student Intern in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - College Student Intern in Franklin, MA

I worked at EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The University Relations team was the only benefit to this summer. They had amazing and beneficial workshops for their interns, including professional headshots for free, a LinkedIn workshop with professionals from LinkedIn headquarters, a transition workshop from college to beyond college, a resume critique, and a recruiter panel. We also were given two paid days off.

Cons

I know along with myself that many interns did not have work. I felt that I was hassle to my manager and she did not know my full potential or even try to give me challenging work. I had two days to accept my internship with no job description, but competitive pay. My past internships, with a large medical device company, I was given projects that I would complete over the course of the summer. This summer I was given busy work or work that my manger did not want to do. Sometimes it would have been easier for her to do it herself than to explain to me. I felt that I was not challenged and that I did not learn anything from this workplace or environment. I was placed in one of the buildings in Franklin, I interviewed in Hopkinton at the headquarters and was given a false impression of the culture and workplace. I was not placed in Franklin until a few weeks before my internship started and if I knew it would be this environment, quiet, white walls, and not very friendly, I would most likely not have accepted this internship.

Use the interns more efficiently, they are in college learning the most modern techniques and skills. Provide a job description and have managers that actually want interns. Also, have project readily available before putting up a job posting for internships.

There are newer employer reviews for EMC