There are newer employer reviews for EMC

Just waiting to find the greener grass

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

For training opportunities, they are far better than my last employer. You're almost expected to take a week-long course every quarter. Contrast this with my experience at IBM, where everything was about Java, but they wouldn't pay to send you to a Java course. At EMC, I've taken four of them already.

Some of the products can be pretty interesting and dynamic, but a lot of them are totally sustaining engineering "minimal change" products, that are dull and unfulfilling to work on. (oops, this is supposed to be the "good" section. :)

The other good thing I noticed when I arrived is a higher caliber of talent than at my last employer, especially in the first level manager ranks. Above that is pretty uninspiring though.

Cons

EMC is ultra-aggressive with layoffs. If they even think they're going to miss a revenue number by a penny, heads are going to roll. In my orientation when I was hired, half the people there were re-hires. Given their reputation for showing no loyalty to employees, I demanded higher pay when I was hired 6-ish years ago. I got the number I needed then, but it's been steady 2-3.5% raises since then. So now I feel I'm behind the market.

Also, while we read about the fantastic accomodations at Google and forward thinking places like Fog Creek Software, at EMC you have to live with the bottom of the barrel trash for equipment. They won't buy new monitors, so you're stuck using 10 year old 19" CRTs that are totally washed out and more worthy of the trash. Flat panel monitors exist in some places, as long as you're on a "most favored" product, but if not, you get the dregs that have been sitting in a warehouse since the post bubble layoffs.

They have an ESPP of course, but holding EMC shares is a recipe for disappointment and failure. Their stock has been sitting at the same spot for 5 years, execpt for the short VMware bubble last fall.
And when you do get laid off, they're pretty brutal about it. While companies like HP will notify you, and then give you time to look for positions inside the company, or look for a job elsewhere, EMC comes and notifies you, and then stands and watches while you clean out your cube that second. Then you're walked to the door, and sent off with nothing but a handshake.

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans. Show a little loyalty, and it will be paid back more than in-kind.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. EMC - Good opportunity for hard driver to learn and advance your career

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC

Pros

Excellent technology company that is driven to lead in the markets where it competes. Good, competitive pay and very good benefits package.

Cons

It's a very hard-charging environment. Evaluations are driven by quarterly Management by Objectives (MBO). You need to ensure that your MBOs are realistic and achievable. In my case, numerous items were added and I was unable to complete all my MBOs in one quarter, and there was hell to pay from my management. So, the key is ongoing communication, really negotiation with your manager.

Advice to Management

They have actively transformed the company to capitalize on information storage and retrieval trends and position the company very well and ahead of competition.

2. Freedom to explore the world.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Freedom to accomplish tasks as you see fit. Compensation is fair and expense reimbursement for business-related expenditures are fast and liberal.

Cons

Disparate work locations and a distributed team inhibit camaraderie. Short life-cycle projects provide little time to truly form bonds with end-customers.

Advice to Management

Continue treating business units as if they are independent small companies. Continue putting trust in the employee base. Purchasing companies creates a sense of unease at times. A clear path for company purchase is not always apparent at the individual employee level.