EMCORE
www.emcore.com Albuquerque, NM 500 to 999 Employees

Rowing the boat with one paddle.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
Newark, CA

ProsLaid back work environment. Good work/life balance. There was a solid foundation at least from a resource standpoint after the divestiture from Intel.

ConsClear lack of direction from senior management. Their acquisition of Intel's Optical Platform Division was followed by sugar coated kool aid speeches of how the employees are the most important asset. Six months later there was a mass layoff because of The Great Recession. Those who were left were given promotions even though they were not the best candidates to fill in the void. To say that title inflation runs amok at that place is an understatement. My very job was posted on the company's website a year ago, and I was not even given time of day after applying again. Wow, so you didn't even consider calling back those you laid off? Quality costs, but it looks like you don't want to put your money where your mouth is after reading the other reviews by current and former employees.

I cringe thinking what has become of all the top shelf test and capital equipment that is languishing in a shelf or storage area. I'd love to use a fraction of it in my current job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know who replaced the senior management that left during the great purge, but they seem to be no better. You failed to retain the best and the brightest and it shows in your standing in the fiber optics space

mediocre

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Anaheim, CA

I have been working at EMCORE

Pros: independence of thoughts and creativity Cons: The company had no clear direction Advice to Senior Management: step it up More

Super cheap company with good technology

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Newark, CA

I have been working at EMCORE

Pros: Very bright engineers who enjoy the technology Cons: Extraordinarily cheap company which refuses to spend money on even the basics (office supplies, lab supplies, laptops, wireless that works); currently offers salaries below market… Advice to Senior Management: Update from Lotus Notes, for God's sake! It has the worst GUI ever. That will save us many hours per week of extra work.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on EMCORE.

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMCORE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMCORE CEO Hong Q. Hou. All reviews posted anonymously by EMCORE employees.