There are newer employer reviews for EMCORE

Rowing the boat with one paddle.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Newark, CA
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at EMCORE

Pros

Laid back work environment. Good work/life balance. There was a solid foundation at least from a resource standpoint after the divestiture from Intel.

Cons

Clear lack of direction from senior management. Their acquisition of Intel's Optical Platform Division was followed by sugar coated kool aid speeches of how the employees are the most important asset. Six months later there was a mass layoff because of The Great Recession. Those who were left were given promotions even though they were not the best candidates to fill in the void. To say that title inflation runs amok at that place is an understatement. My very job was posted on the company's website a year ago, and I was not even given time of day after applying again. Wow, so you didn't even consider calling back those you laid off? Quality costs, but it looks like you don't want to put your money where your mouth is after reading the other reviews by current and former employees.

I cringe thinking what has become of all the top shelf test and capital equipment that is languishing in a shelf or storage area. I'd love to use a fraction of it in my current job.

I don't know who replaced the senior management that left during the great purge, but they seem to be no better. You failed to retain the best and the brightest and it shows in your standing in the fiber optics space

20 Other Employee Reviews for EMCORE (View Most Recent)

mediocre

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at EMCORE

Pros

independence of thoughts and creativity

Cons

The company had no clear direction

step it up

Super cheap company with good technology

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at EMCORE

Pros

Very bright engineers who enjoy the technology

Cons

Extraordinarily cheap company which refuses to spend money on even the basics (office supplies, lab supplies, laptops, wireless that works); currently offers salaries below market value because of the bad economy; has very poor benefits (thank God for my wife's benefits!); many people seem bitter at the company culture of "do twice as much with half the support"

Update from Lotus Notes, for God's sake! It has the worst GUI ever. That will save us many hours per week of extra work.

Spend a little money to keep your employees happy; give them the tools they need to do their jobs. Otherwise, as the economy gets better, there will be a huge exodus.

There are newer employer reviews for EMCORE

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!