Frustrated by the management

I worked at EMCORE

Pros

Good, intelligent and hard working colleagues. Good technologies.

Cons

Very limited resources and hiring process is extremely slow. Management is a mess, with defined priority shifts but not willing to slow down on ANYTHING. Very poor benefits. In short words, company does not really care about the employee. Appreciation is only at verbal level.

Be more efficient and stick to the plan. Not changing it on a weekly basis. Drive quality from internal and not ONLY drive by customer.

Other Reviews for EMCORE

Poorly managed

I have been working at EMCORE full-time

Pros

If you're a slacker, you're safe: Slow to get rid of dead weight.
    You can work 9 to 5 here.

Cons

Poorly focused management team
    Little employee empowerment, everything needs approvals.
    Stifling bureaucracy - You need to fill out a form or a ticket for even menial tasks.
    Cash strapped organization - stingy to no raises
    Antiquated IT (still using Win XP32) - Snails pace of implementation of new technology.
    Road blocks instead of solutions offered as default response to change requests.

Focus on making decisions faster, focus on reducing the stifling overhead and time consuming bureaucracy, consider streamlining the operations by reducing administrative busy work, hold people accountable, don't allow for so much finger pointing when things don't get done. Fire foot draggers and poor performers (at all levels). Focus on results, not just talk.

Even when we thought we were doing good, we weren't doing good.

I worked at EMCORE full-time

Pros

I knew quite a few incredibly intelligent, experienced, incredibly hard-working folks while I was there.

Very good experience with high-tech product.

Cons

Twice in poor economic times paycuts were instituted for 3+ months. Only one of those times was any effort made to re-pay the employees for what basically amounted to a loan.

We always seemed incredibly understaffed BEFORE the most recent layoffs.

Management violates many of the common-sense rules of economics, like not upcharging for more advanced forms of technology, not reinvesting any money back into the company in the form of internal R&D and by not generally treating its employees with a high level of respect.

Try focusing on your people and profit and long-term health of the company. You focus too much on revenue, which is foolish. Raise the prices of your products until you lose a bid or two so that you better understand the market space.

There are newer employer reviews for EMCORE.

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!