There are newer employer reviews for EMIS

Excellent Company to start a career with who give anyone a chance - a little too much red tape.

Former Employee - IT Support in Leeds, England (UK)
Former Employee - IT Support in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at EMIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and there are lots of socialising opportunities.The main office is in a nice area with free parking. They give people with relatively little experience or qualifications a chance at proving themselves which is rare to find in today's job market. The amount of guidance available means you can rarely go wrong. Every solution is documented and fixes described in a vast knowledge base. This helps employees with no technical experience become excellent problem solvers without them even knowing it. The business is innovative and a market leader which provided excellent job stability and looks really good on a CV. An Excellent place to start an IT career.

Cons

The amount of procedure, policy and red tape is suffocating. Although this allows for Emis to employee low skilled staff and train them up quickly and efficiently, any bright stars would quickly absorb the training and leave for pastures new as soon as possible. I would expect Emis to have a high staff turnover in certain areas of business and with no progression in year 1 regardless of talent I'm not surprised. This is odd as they give people without qualifications jobs but then if they surpass expectation and would be better suited to another area of business they will not allow them to move and would even let them leave the company rather than break the procedure. I found management had very little power and were really just providing statistics and guidance. It may have been that to some degree they hide behind procedures to be your friend and still say no. Too strict on lateness and sickness that produces unnecessary pressure and stress.

Advice to Management

Don't let anyone who stands out leave the business because of a procedure. It's bad business to let your best people go.

Allow team managers a little more management discretion so that in times of need they can help staff out and not hide behind procedures.

Sickness and lateness is a tricky one. It is a Pro for people who are late and unreliable as it will teach them the importance of punctuality, however anyone who is punctual and reliable will feel punished for others peoples short falls if something does actually go wrong.

Keep giving people a chance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Its ok....

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at EMIS

Pros

Quick to change and freedom to grow

Cons

Lack of communication makes life difficult at times.

2. Worst company I've ever worked for avoid...

Former Employee - Software Support Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Support Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at EMIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, becomes repetitive then becomes boring.

Cons

Sold me the job in interview so that I accept the job on the basis that I'd be given extra training for development. Soon realised that the training promised would never materialise.
    Loads of favouritism within the organisation basically it's a case of if your face fits. You'll see individuals working extremely hard often hounded by management. Whilst others (the managers favourites) sat around doing absolutely nothing!
    Within my short employment span there not a single day without major national fault effecting users which confirms how unstable the Emis web system really is. This understandably has made users migrate to its major competitor.
    Friday dress down is basically employee extortion so that a piiss up can arranged. There's no employee union you are at the managements peril so God forbid if you fall ill & your not classed as the favourite few.
    If your seeking development within Emis then you do not fall for lies within the interview it will never happen. The majority leave for those reasons hence the high staff turnover.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management..stop treating staff as slaves, they are worthy respect. Have departmental managers that are worthy of being classed as manager not the individual that does Specail favours outside work.

EMIS Response

May 15, 2015Internal Communication Manager

Hello,
    I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience at EMIS, but thank you for taking the time to identify the areas that didn't work for you.

We've recently conducted our