There are newer employer reviews for ENSCO (VA)

I would go back to work there in a minute!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at ENSCO (VA)

Pros

It is a true community of intelligent people who are working together to solve hard problems. They seem to care about their employees and remember when you did well and reward you with respect.

Cons

It is family owned, so the stock isn't traded. Therefore it can't be given as a reward--the employees can't share in the natural growth of the company.

Advice to Management

Find a way to offer a lower level of closely-held, non-traded stock.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work but had to choose my career development over the company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Springfield, VA

I worked at ENSCO (VA)

Pros

The work life balance can't be beat and Springfield office is a great location to work. The hours and dress code are both very flexible. There are a lot of company sponsored events to treat the employees. The people are generally friendly and pleasant to work with. The managers don't micro-manage and treat all employees as professionals. The work they do can generally be categorized as "Government R&D" so it's important and interesting. The 401K matching is above average.

Cons

There's a definite lack of career growth potential. In the time I was there (greater than 1 year) my division didn't grow at all so the only way to move up the chain is if the person above you quits. In the end I had to leave in order to advance my career. Software engineering best practices are non-existent. Management leaves the development up to the engineers and as a general rule coders just want to code, not research, document and test so that's what they do. Things that should be documented aren't, processes that should be automated are done manually and code that should have repeatable tests is poked with a stick and shoved out the door. The health benefits are crazy expensive. For the past few years 100% of the premium increases have been passed on to employees.

Advice to Management

Ditch the current bonus policy and replace it with something that actually incentivizes hard work. Don't penalize groups that have spectacular years with nothing because the company had a down year. Learn a structured way to develop software; just because you do R&D doesn't absolve you from having good practices and standards. Find cheaper health insurance.

2. Chance to work on a variety of fun, technically-challenging projects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at ENSCO (VA)

Pros

Family friendly Cutting edge research and development programs Industry standard compensation packages Opportunities to advance career and develop technical skills.

Cons

Inadequate management practices Disconnect between upper management and technical staff Disconnect between corporate HQ and upper management Lack of long term business plans

Advice to Management

Company needs to develop a firmer long term business plan, as do each of the division managers. Business development seems to be an afterthought sometimes.