EOG

There are newer employer reviews for EOG

High exposure, loosely organized

Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little higherarchy, lots of responsibility and opportunity. If you work for the right person/department, it can be a great place to work and learn. Mostly a casual atmosphere, and there is always a get it done mentality. In the right groups or departments that are properly staffed and have good management attitude, it can be a great place to work.

Cons

It's loosely organized which can be a positive or can be a negative when things get out of hand. There can be frustration in lack of guidance and direction. For some departments with the right people and leaders it works well, where others do more poorly. There can be a lot of snap judgements and whiplash back and forth when some more planning and foresight overall could be beneficial. You can also get the whisper at the top turns to a shout at the bottom (rigid conveyance of orders/information) with some leaders, where others are good about adapting to situations. It all depends on who you work for, as I'm sure is true with most organizations.

The performance bonuses are all supposed to be customized to every individual, but after several years working here, it seems like most people are on a promotion/raise schedule. There isn't much feedback to be able to differentiate. It is hard to tell if you're really doing well and if the "you're doing a good/great job"s are significantly reflected in your compensation or not; I'm guessing long term they will be. From colleagues with the same experience I do, I would guess base salary is middle ground and bonuses are on the low side, especially considering the extensive vesting time (5 year cliff vest).

A lot of valuable people seem to be under-paid. Most groups know who the winners are, and they should be compensated accordingly. I don't get to see the pay, but it seems like the spread from the "A players" to the "C Players" is not that much after they are hired (I could be wrong). A get it done attitude with managers is positive on the surface but can also be a caustic characteristic. It has to be done with flexibility or it can bypass the best solutions to a problem. A get it done manager that doesn't give much feedback is a good sign things are poor. A get it done where you hear feedback from the troops on the ground is a good sign. The managers I have dealt with seem to distinctly fall into groups of flexible and inflexible. Adapting to feedback and isisting it is done right is hugely beneficial to being a good manager.

36 Other Employee Reviews for EOG (View Most Recent)

Amazing Internship

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at EOG as an intern

Pros

They have a very "family based" environment. The company understands what should come first in life. Managers treat you with respect even if you are a lower level employee.

Cons

They focus so much on rate of returns that old wells often die out and lose production. This is the only con I can come up with. Whatever their current business strategy is seems to be working!

Overall, not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Land Tech in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Land Tech in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at EOG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full benefits package for full time employees, small office environment, friendly coworkers, casual dress code, encourages healthy lifestyles for employees, short work day on Friday.

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as at other companies for the amount of work expected, some departments encourage an overly competitive atmosphere which promotes the individual rather than encouraging team effort.

Make sure that all of department managers are encouraging their employees to be members of the team, rather than promoting an atmosphere that encourages employees to compete. Make sure salaries are competitive with other companies.

There are newer employer reviews for EOG